GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Jerusalem artichokes/ sunchokes for trade

I have plenty to trade. They are a white variety that have done well in my zone 7/ sunset zone 32 climate. Easy to grow, need very little attention. Lots of videos on youtube if you're not at all familiar with them.

Would be interested in...
-Other tubers, but not potatoes unless they are a rare variety
-True potato seeds
-loofah gourd seeds
-Tobacco seeds (Maybe)
-"Extra long handle" gourd seeds
-lots of others.

I like unusual things, and I am especially interested in "long lost" or "forgotten" crops. Things that our ancestors grew that are all but forgotten, endangered varieties etc. Please PM me to work out trades, it's easier for me to keep track of that way.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Are you feeding comfrey to your chickens Jeff? They may eat Jerusalem artichokes as well.

Eric

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I just have regular feed....but they barely eat that. I sprouted a bunch of that deer seed mix in the woods for them to forage on. It has peas, grasses and 3 different types of brassicas. They seem to like it. Other than that, they get whatever food scraps/extra is around. Also grass clippings from when we mow the grass....they seem to like that.

Haven't specifically tried the chokes. But they will end up there if they get past the point that I want them. I found an article for pickled sunchokes that I may tr in an effort to not waste them. I am realy hit or miss with pickled stuff though so, I hope they end up good. :?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

A few summers back my brother would hang a comfrey plant in the chicken yard and the chickens would strip it like piranhas. Now the chicken moat has many comfrey plants to free range.

I have Bocking comfrey root, Red jerusalem artichokes and True potato seed.

Willing to trade for more of your Yacon crowns?

Eric

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Sho nuff. Always a pleasure to trade with ya. How many fit yer taste sir?

BTW, how durable is that Comfrey? Will it survive a chicken beating or should I keep it growing at home and bring it to the chickens when I go?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

GardenRN wrote:Sho nuff. Always a pleasure to trade with ya. How many fit yer taste sir?

BTW, how durable is that Comfrey? Will it survive a chicken beating or should I keep it growing at home and bring it to the chickens when I go?
I have a big appetite. How about all 40 plants. No - No -How about 6.

Comfrey can be cut down several times per summer. I see a couple ways of growing them. Plant them as islands and place fences around them. Let the comfrey grow up a foot or two and then remove the fence for foraging. Maybe three islands and alternate between them. Or you could plant the comfrey in rows with a more permanent fence and let the chickens feed through the wire. You will have to experiment how far apart the fence should be so they don't peck the plants to the ground. The parallel fences may only be a foot apart. Maybe it's a wire tunnel and not fencing.

Eric

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

aaaaaaah good ideas! Yeah I can definitely send you 6. I'll probably just send you a whole root ball that can be divided that many times. I haven't divided mine until planting time so far. I feel like it leaves too many raw surfaces for rot.

Can't wait to see the red sun chokes!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Sounds good Jeff.

You should have received a email from usps click-n-ship
Your package will be in tomorrows mail. I hope you haven't moved.

Eric

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

LMAO! totally got that email...glanced over it and said "why the hell is UPS sending me junk mail now" DELETE

lol. All good. I'm sure it'll get here. I'll be sending yours out this weekend. Or maybe tomorrow...I'm off, but haven't told the wife or kids. :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jeff,

There's a small packet of seed, wrapped in a bag, in the package I sent you.

Eric

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Haven't opened it yet, but it came today. ;) thanks! LMK when yours arrives...

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I have some German Pink tomato seeds to trade

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”