evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Seeds to trade in South Africa

To my fellow South African Gardeners;

I have lots of seeds to trade and I am looking for new seeds to try. Let me know if you are interested.

I have:
Clivia miniata (orange)
Sweet peppers (purple, red and yellow)
Peppadew
Tamarillo
Strawberry popcorn

Camellia sinensis (tea plant)
Wisteria sinensis (Chinese wisteria)
Geraniums

Tomatoes - red rosa, tiger stripe, red cherry, golden vine, orange strawberry, emerald apple
Solanum melanocerasum (garden huckleberry)

I also have lots of more usual seeds like peas, beans, herbs etc and would happily include those too.

I have some waterblommetjie plants if anyone needs.

I am looking for heirloom tomatoes, peppers, chillies, amaranth and interesting vegetables. I also need hardy drought tolerant plants for free-state gardens.

I am looking forward to meeting some SA gardeners!

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Not too many South Africans then?

gillespieza

Ooh, I'd love to trade! I do mostly herbs and vegetables (Cape Town). Let me go and find my stash and I'll return to type it up here :-)

gillespieza

Hi there

I would be very interested in your clivias, purple peppers, strawberry popcorn, peppadew, tamarillo, wisteria, geraniums, any interesting tomatoes (especially cherry varieties, and canning/preserving varieties) - basically any nice interesting vegetables and herbs, and any pretty water-wise plants (including succulents but not cacti) or coast-hardy plants. I also collect unusual lavenders (especially the dwarf varieties). I live in Cape Town :)

I have the following I to trade (unfortunately mostly commercial varieties, not many heirlooms). - I've tried to put all the info from seed packets where they are commercial seed varieties:

HEIRLOOM:
  • Blondkopfen cherry tomatoes (little gold grape sized cherry tomatoes) (Starke Ayres brand)
OTHER (Open pollinated, possibly cross-pollinated with other nearby varieties, so who knows what you'll get)
  • Sweet pepper
  • Butternut
  • Spanspek
  • Lemon drop dwarf marigold (I harvest the seeds from these every year - very pretty and vigourous little things. Later this year I will have a gold mix as well)
  • Cayenne pepper (possibly cross pollinated with Jalapeno)
  • Jalapeno pepper (possibly cross pollinated with Cayenne)
  • Eureka lemon
  • Tahiti lime
OTHER (Commercial varieties)
  • Beetroot (Star 1105) (Starke Ayres brand)
  • Borage (Margaret Roberts brand)
  • Broccoli (Star 2204) (Starke Ayres brand)
  • Chinese cabbage 'Granat' (Starke Ayres brand)
  • Coriander (Starke Ayres brand)
  • Purple Echinacea (Kirschhoff brand) - very drought-hardy
  • Hale's Best melon (cantaloupe/spanspek) (Kirschhoff brand)
  • Lemon basil (Margaret Roberts brand)
  • Mange Tout 'Kennedy' (Kirschhoff brand)
  • Spinach 'Baby Dash' (Starke Ayres brand)
  • Sugar Snap Peas 'Climbing' (Starke Ayres brand)
  • Sugar Snap Peas 'Sugar Charm' (Starke Ayres brand)
  • Tomato 'Roma VFN' (Starke Ayres brand)
  • Zucchini/Courgette/Baby Marrow hybrid 'Star 8022' (Starke Ayres brand)
OLD SEED (I haven't tested the viability of any of these this year, so you takes your chances with these, but welcome to them all the same):
  • Soup celery (Starke Ayres brand)
  • Chives (Margaret Roberts brand)
  • Delphinium (Starke Ayres brand)
  • Dill (Starke Ayres brand)
  • Pak Choy (Margaret Roberts brand)
  • Parsley 'Moss Curled' (Starke Ayres brand and Mayfair brand)
  • Spring Onion (Starke Ayres brand)
  • Swiss Chard 'Fordhook Giant' (Starke Ayres brand)
  • Tomato 'Heinz 1370' (Starke Ayres brand)

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Hi gillespieza :)

I'm so glad to find another South African.

My seeds have changed since then. I give a lot to my mom who has a plot in Smithfield. She will harvest though and give me back some seeds.

I will send you what I have now;

yellow cherry tomato
beefsteak tomato - I find the plant to be be slow-growing though and then the hail took them all out so I can't say how good these seeds are.
tiger stripe (correction from the zebra stripe)
pink tomato

peppadew
long red chillies

tamarillo

zebra butternut

clivia - I just went to package the seeds up and found that 4 of the 6 clivia seeds went mouldy and are not viable. I will send 2 for now but I can send you more when I harvest them (soon).

In addition I have

brinjal
Cannellini beans
Borlotti beans
rocket

(All harvested from our gardens)

I have one last Meyer lemon left and I can send you the seeds. You will need to use the seeds quickly but I got 50% germination (normal) after a week of drying. You really need to open the seed casing to expose the embryo to water. Remember you may not get fruit from a tree grown from seed. This is a sweetish, small lemon that was actually crossed with another citrus but is not available in South Africa for some reason.

Do you want waterblommetjies? I think I could send you seeds in water. Ok I'd have to also find the seeds but I'm willing to give it a try.

I would love Lemon drop dwarf marigold, Blondkopfen tomatoes, cayenne pepper, pak choy and moss curled parsley.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

@gillespieza They are all ready; just email me your address :)

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”