Ruffsta
Green Thumb

blue roses..

looking for blue rose seeds..

thanks

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

You'll be looking a very long time. :( There are no true-blue roses, and roses are generally propagated from cuttings. The rose "hips" which develop at the end of the season (from flowers allowed to complete their cycle) are indeed full of "seeds," but I don't know whether anyone's ever used them to start new plants with.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

Code: Select all

https://www.ebay.com/sch/I.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=blue+rose+seeds&_sacat=0
ebay is full of them..

pondlady

Those pics are all doctored!! I have a blue girl climber and it is not true blue! more of a Lavender blue.

cinnie0

Are those rainbow roses real. Are any of those colors real?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the previous posters are correct: those photos are doctored in some way. That blue has been the Holy Grail of rose research for decades and has *not* yet been achieved. The "blue" colors referred to in rose names are usually shades of lavender.

I suspect that the photos may be white roses that have been sitting in blue food coloring and then photographed, like the carnation tricks students sometimes do (or maybe used to do?) to demonstrate the vascular systems of plants.

[url=https://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/09/blue-roses-for-sale/]Here's an article[/url] with photos explaining a little more about why roses do not come in clear blue colors.

Cynthia

bg
Cool Member

I have a blue girl hybrid tea rose, which is a bush type, not a climbing vine. Like everyone else said, they don't turn blue like in the pics on ebay. I haven't tried to propagate it from cuttings or seeds yet. I haven't even collected any seeds lol, but I can try once I am able to.

Here are some photos of my rose bush:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40750
and more recently:
https://aonoyuurei.tumblr.com/post/20876473988 (pics in middle)

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

That sucks those looked cool.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The photos on eBay of the bouquet in a vase can be easily seen to be a fraud. Take a look at the water in the bottom of the vase: it is blue. That's the food coloring that's being taken up by the roses.

Perform this experiment for yourselves, anybody with an interest

1) Pick (or purchase) white flowers with a distinct stem. The flowers most often used are carnations (dianthus), but white snapdragons, hydrangeas, and other stemmed flowers will do. Roses especially. :wink: Set them aside momentarily.

2) Fill the clear glass vase with lukewarm water. The vase must allow the flower stems to reach the bottom.

3) Drop liquid food coloring into the water. Make sure to use enough to turn the water at the bottom of the vase a strong, distinct color.

4) Place the flowers into the vase, making sure that the cut ends of the stems reach the "distinctly colored zone" of the water.

5) Wait. Depending on how recently the flowers were cut and on the temperature of the water, the flowers will begin to change color anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 or so hours later.

Presto! Blue roses or green carnations or even yellow hydrangeas! :D

Cynthia

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I read they split the stem to make the rainbow roses.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

September 14, 2011
The world's first blue rose will be available in the U.S. and Canada this year, after 20 years of being genetically altered by a Japanese company and its Australian subsidiary, Wired Science reports.

Scientists researched ways to make the rose synthesize delphindin, a pigment found in most blue flowers. After releasing the flower in Tokyo in 2009, the development company, Suntory, announced that the rose will be for sale at select florists in North America.

The rose is named "Applause," and is more a silvery-purple than a sky blue. It is the closest that a rose has ever come to blooming blue without being dyed.

Blue roses have a mythic quality because they were impossible to grow, until now
guess it won't be too long from now that eventually there will be a blue rose.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, but a laboratory created Genetically Modified Organism, not achieved by hybridizers. And still "silvery purple."

But that's weird about eBay. I looked at the link all those people advertising blue rose seeds and the ads don't say anything about the fact you will need to dye your roses (if you ever get any starting from seed!) for them to be blue.

I clicked on one of the ads and found this (sorry for the all caps, that's how it was)

10 DARK BLUE ROSES PLUS TEN FROM MY GIFT BAG THEY ARE ALL MIXED COULD BE RAINBOW ORANGE PINK WHITE BLACK GREEN RED YELLOW OR PURPLE WILL SEND WITHIN 3DAYS OF END OF SALE

So I'm guessing when you buy your packet of mixed seeds, they will somehow all turn out to be orange, pink, white, red, yellow, and possibly a few purple-ish...

A lot of people will be very disappointed if they wanted those blue roses. Wouldn't you think that would show up in the seller's ratings? The one I took the above from said 99.7% Positive feedback....

Very strange... how can they get away with just lying like that!

cinnie0

prob. because when people are giving feedback their roses have not grown yet. By the time the seeds produce roses if they do at all it is too late to submit feedback.

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”