boel123
Newly Registered

anybody know where I can find seeds for Silphium albiflorum?

Does anybody know where I can find seeds for Silphium albiflorum? I have tried lots of seedcompanys but without any luck.

raspberryred

WHAT PLANT IS THIS????

applestar
Mod

I had to google it and it appears to be a Texas native wildflower. Maybe someone from that area wild have some or know a source. My favorite wildflower seed source only had the yellow flowered ones, but I can see why you would be interested in the frosty white flowers -- very pretty.

Are there any similar flowers native to your country?

boel123
Newly Registered

Thanks, but so far no luck, none of the suggested seedcompanys have it :( I live on an island with a lot of limestone and no "prairietopic", typical wild flowers are orchids, for ex. Cephalanthera longifolia)

817emilyhawk
Newly Registered

I think it is so interesting that you are looking for S. albiflorum seeds. I am an undergraduate, and have worked for the past two years studying population viability and life history traits of this amazing Texas endemic. My ultimate goal is to attain a conservation status in Texas. We have not had any luck germinating Silphium in the lab, so I would be interested to know if you are able to locate seeds and if you are able to achieve germination. Best of luck!

boel123
Newly Registered

So far I have not been able to find any seeds, I have asked a lot of seedcompanys to put me on a "waiting list" if they are able to find some. I really would like to have it in my garden!

boel123
Newly Registered

Happy news! I recieved some seeds in august, ( from Texas, "wildcollected" on a private farm ) and yesterday the first seeds germinated! I tried 3 different methods, 1. Roomtemperature all the time, 2. One week roomtemperature-4 month refridgerator-back to roomtemp. for 1 month, and it is these seeds that has now germinated. 3. One week roomtemp. and then outdoors. So it works!

applestar
Mod

Congratulations! Thanks for letting us know. I would love to see and hear how your plants fare. Please keep us posted. :D

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”