jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Well it is certainly worth a try. I planted ten watermelon seeds in a cup just to test germination. Of ten I have 7 seedlings. Now I am wondering if I could plant a couple of them in a wall-o-water and have them survive? I would not usually plant watermelon seed outdoors until mid May.

Any way, for what its worth, that is 70% germination I got on those seeds from the same lot yours was from.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

cinnie0

seeds

Do you still have seeds available for sase?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Well it is certainly worth a try. I planted ten watermelon seeds in a cup just to test germination. Of ten I have 7 seedlings. Now I am wondering if I could plant a couple of them in a wall-o-water and have them survive? I would not usually plant watermelon seed outdoors until mid May.

Any way, for what its worth, that is 70% germination I got on those seeds from the same lot yours was from.
70% is plenty good enough for me. I only need 3 plants, and you gave me about 15 seeds. (I didn't count them, but that's what it looks like :roll: )

If my neighbor hadn't built me the cold frame, I would have gone with a Wall O' Water. I've had really good luck with those in the past. The only problem I've had is that when they do freeze, which takes temps below 20, they tend to break their seams and collapse once they thaw.

I just finished planting radishes and peas. It's 70+ out there right now, so there's no real need to give them the extra week for a traditional April 1 planting. My next project is to plant Eric's Music garlic, if it's still good, and then begin preparing the watermelon bed. At the very least, I want to get some black plastic laid down so the soil can start warming up.

If this weather sticks around, I plan to plant those watermelons by mid-April. This is the year I won't have to wait until the end of September, if that, to eat a watermelon :clap: They just don't taste right when the wind is howling and the temps are in the 40s.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Do you still have seeds available for sase?
Yes, I still have seeds.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”