buzzcut

early cold and seed maturity....

I have been waiting for my coneflower 'white swan' and orange butterfly weed seeds to mature---only to see that we are in a freeze warning for wed nite into thurs early am. will this affect the maturity or viability of the seeds? I would say the seeds were at least 5-7 days away from being able to gather them.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Based upon my experience with some immature Habaneros last year, I would say, yes, it will affect the viability of your seeds but that it doesn't necessarily mean they aren't worth saving. I experimented with some of mine, and about 30% were good.

Sorry to hear about the weather! You might be getting the system that hit us today and is still hovering above us here in Casper, Wyoming. We got lucky. Well, so far, anyway. We still have twelve hours of danger to get through before it passes, but right now it is looking good. Hope you get lucky, too!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Yes, if it isn't too late cover the plants with something like an old blanket or burlap and see if you can keep it from getting frosted over and then see if the plant will continue to grow. Generally the seed needs to get quite ripe (dry on the plant to be viable). For that reason, cone flower is hard to get viable seed for most people. Generally seeds are grown for each type of plant where they grow best and are most likely to get to maturity, no matter what seed company they are being grown for, oddly enough. You can try the seed by doing germination trials on it or just planting it, a few might sprout if they are close enough, but the plants may not be very vigorous. Do not share any seed with anyone else.

buzzcut

thanks for the quick responses!

guess I will just see what morning brings. I kinda figured this short-term cold snap wouldn't be a good thing for unripened seeds. :roll:

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”