Ruffsta
Green Thumb

seeds turning color..

I noticed that sometimes when I harvest seeds from peppers (usually store bought), the seeds have a nice color, but shortly after I harvest them (almost instantly) they start turning to an ugly color..

[img]https://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5700/photo0122wf.jpg[/img]

this happens more often than not.. why???

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

anyone?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Some sort of surface oxidation, perhaps? I often notice different colored seeds in a packet. It's possible that some aren't viable for one reason or another, maybe lack of pollination or something else. I've never let it bother me. :?

I just plant them all, since seeds rarely germinate at 100% anyway. :)

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

these were not packaged seeds, but ones I was trying to harvest from 3 peppers given to me.

they were nice white seeds, but by the time I got to my 3rd pepper, the seeds from the other 2 peppers were turning brown.. I looked at them today and they are completely useless.. :evil:

soil
Greener Thumb

pepper seeds should be slightly yellow. bad seeds will dry up. there will always be some.let them dry out, don't plant the blackish ones. plant the healthiest tan/yellow/tiny bits of brown on the edge ones.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I just don't see why it is that when I buy store bought seeds, bring them home open up remove the seeds and within around 15 minutes or so.. they start turning really ugly when they are really nice looking seeds when I first open the peppers up.. I just don't get it. almost every pepper.
Last edited by Ruffsta on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

margez

Is it possible that the seeds are from hybrid peppers and won't reproduce ?

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I don't think that has anything to do with cutting open a pepper, removing the seeds and 15 min later the seeds start turning color... and end up becoming useless.

adobo

My guess is that peppers in stores are harvested when they are still green/unripe for longer shelf life and will eventually ripen in the store, thus the seeds inside they are still immature.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I tried to save seeds from a Serrano pepper I grew myself. And almost all of them went bad just like this. The pepper was still green/immature. So I am waiting until one turns red and then I will collect it. I do think that it has something to do with immature seeds.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

yeah, I believe the same thing.. just has to be immature seeds.. cause normally I don't have an issue harvesting seeds..

k, thank you everyone.. topic may be locked now

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”