Binkalette

Wanted- Tree seeds!

We bought a new house a few years ago and it was completely devoid of any trees (aside from 2 baby trees on the boulevard). We have planted some sort of crab apple tree that has very dark red leaves two years ago and it is doing well. We also planted 8 Blue Spruce trees on one side of the house for privacy (many many years down the road!). Last august a Cottonwood Poplar jumped up in the yard and we left it be. It is now 9 feet tall (in less than one year!!). I also have a Box Elder tree that just sprang up this year.. My uncle said it should be a nice tree for 20-30 years but will start to deteriorate after that and will have to be cut down (lest it fall).

I love trees and would like to have a few more of them to give our yard at least SOME shade. We are planting all of our trees rather strategically so I can still have a garden and still see all of the awesome weather we get to see living on a hill. I would really like a Maple or Willow (weeping would be best I love those!) or anything that flowers white (our other tree flowers pink). If anyone has some seeds to share I would love to have one! Also any suggestions on collecting tree seeds would be appreciated (specifically from the crab apple)?

bangstrom

I have bad memories of boxelder trees. Like other fast growing trees they have weak branches that break in the wind and they are terrible magnets for those red and black boxelder bugs. You could have a house full of bugs.
Cottonwoods and poplars are good for quick shade but the roots are terribly invasive.

applestar
Mod

Have you thought about fruit and nut trees?
Apples flower white with blush of pink, plums white, or Serviceberries with white flowers, etc.

Crabapples you should be able to plant the seeds from this years fruits and have them sprout sprout in spring. many fruit and nut trees can be started this way. I even have chestnut seedlings that grew from last year's Christmas chestnuts.

Weeping willow -- simplest thing to do is to get a piece of branch from someone who has a tree. I think this year's growth that has started to toughen up (semi-soft cutting) would work. They root pretty easily.

My garden is full of volunteer crabapple, apple, wild cherry, oak, hickory, mulberry, sweetgum, and red maple treelets. Hickory is the worst in the sense that the silly squirrels keep forgetting to retrieve them from buryied storage and they end growing -- often in flower beds and flower pots. :lol:

artisan78

hi. I have eastern redbud seeds and catalpa tree seeds. if interested pm me.

teachermom1

I have a couple of volunteer seedlings from my tulip trees growing around my house. Haven't gotten around to cutting them down. I have no idea if volunteers will be viable, but I would be willing to dig them up. They are really small still. Tulip trees make a lot of debris, but they are cool in spring when they flower. Mine are huge & give lots of shade.

teachermom1

Ah, and now my trees are dropping their pods. I will collect them & dry them & see if I get some seeds.

aaaeeerrr

I have some Quercus faginea or Quercus suber seeds if you want

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Many if not most tree seeds need to be planted in the fall. It seems they need the time in the ground, and maybe a freeze/thaw cycle or two before they will germinate. You can take apple, peach, or apricot seed from super market fruit, take out the seed and go plant it now. It will likely grow. Locusts can be grown from seed. Nick the hard seed coat with a file then soak them until they swell then go plant them. Sorry, I don't have any tree seed at this time.

Wort
Cool Member

Need any Chinese elm?

Trevor
Cool Member

I've got some Persian Silk mimosa (Albizia julibrissin) seeds.
To plant them, you need to scarify the seeds to break the hard coating that encases the seed.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I have lots of Redbud seeds. They too need to be scarified, and maybe cold stratified. They are very pretty in the spring and are a nice shade tree once bigger. Google some pics if you need. Just let me know if you want some. :wink:

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”