valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

We had a several month stay in Armenia a couple years ago. I used a strip of bathroom tissue, I placed tomato seeds,of tomatoes I thought special, on the tissue with a knife, they stick and become part of the paper. I'm able to tear off bits with seeds as I need to plant.

Richard

Schnazleberry
Newly Registered

IF you use water when fermenting, don't use tap water. Most tap waters have chlorine and chloramine in them which will kill bacteria trying to ferment the seeds.

You can check your tap water report online usually, or always by calling the office (at least in US) to confirm if you have chlorine.

With that said, I don't use water. I just scoop out the seeds, gel, and whatever juice. It ferments faster, the less water you use otherwise you just water it all down.

When taking the seeds out, I add water so they sink and all the gunk floats and I can pour, rinse, pour rinse, until they are clean :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Schnazleberry tap water is fine to use. Trust me, I saved thousands of seed a year with no problems. They still ferment, the stank is the proof in the pudding. :wink:

I do agree with less water is better, or at least faster. In the heat of summer I was getting them done in 3 sometimes 2 day's, with a good coating of scum on top.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

I'm not sure what the reason for fermenting, is it to stop mold? Is it done mostly where the climate is moist?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's a way of separating the seeds from all the gel coating.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

It removes most if not all seed coat pathogens too but probably not good for removing viral or bacterial pathogens that are in the endosperm. So good for removing some pathogens.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I think that the fermenting also triggers something within the seed which tells it that it is ready to sprout. In nature, usually the seeds would ferment or be cycled through an animals digestive tract.
But, I have gotten plants from fresh seeds that were dumped outside for my geese (melon).
If the gel is not removed, it is gooey, and sticky makes it difficult to plant just one or two. The gunk also holds moisture and could lead to mold which would kill the seed.
The time to ferment is dependent on the temperature when the seeds are fermented.
It seems like a lot of work, and not always pleasant at the time, but later on, when you have plants grown from the seeds you saved and they are wonderful, it all becomes worth the effort.

kayjay
Green Thumb

Last year, I used the OxiClean method and it worked nicely. Very high germination rate. The product I used is actually called 'Resolve' here in Canada, though.

This year, I used the fermentation method by mistake. Procrastination. ;) I kept forgetting to bring the Resolve up from the basement, and the seeds fermented in the meantime. LOL. They're drying on a plate now.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

How long can you store the seeds from the "dry the seeds and goo" method? Mine have been dried for 3 months now. Are they still okay?

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

How long can you store the seeds from the "dry the seeds and goo" method? Mine have been dried for 3 months now. Are they still okay?

KeyWee

Three months is more than fine ~ I have stored mine for a year with no problem.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Thanks KeyWee! :)
I just planted the seeds...hope they sprout soon!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I save tomato seeds in the most casual methods. I tell the story that some varieties got into my little collection because I sampled a tomato in someone's garden, came home and scraped the seeds off the front of my shirt ...

Here in my backyard, my tomato seeds go on a paper towel and sit on a table on my covered deck. No, they weren't carried here on my shirt ... maybe my shirt pocket :).

I have a real advantage for seed-saving in that it seldom rains during the summer months, the afternoon humidity usually falls below 20%, and that table invariably catches about 2 hours of sunshine, each day. The paper towels and seed stay out there as long as 3 weeks. Only once, has a house sparrow decided that tomato seed is edible :? .

Once indoors, the folded towels go in Ziploc bags. The system works okay. I have noticed no drop in germination rate after 2 years. At 4 years in the bags, I've gotten into trouble! My casual technique is probably too casual for most gardeners. Remember, this is in a semi-arid climate.

Steve

Mr green
Green Thumb

Mine are most casual as well, I split the tomato in half and suck out the jelly seeds suck on them a little and spit them out (not with a watery spit but rather blow them out between my lips) on a piece of news paper or a sheet of cardboard I found that the stick less to theese surfaces rather than papertowels.

They store well too, so that fermentation is needed for long term storing aint completely true I think. On the other hands to prevent transfer pathogens might be a good thing, but I don't deal with manures or composting animal waste, wich is were the most harmfull ones usually come from too.
I don't trade that much tho but I usually grow extra plants and give away.

applestar
Mod

TOMATO SEED PRODUCTION
An organic seed production manual for seed growers in the Mid-Atlantic and Southern U.S.

Copyright © 2004 by Jeffrey H. McCormack, Ph.D.

https://carteret.ces.ncsu.edu/wp-conten ... -Seeds.pdf

There are basically three methods of seed extraction: (1) juice and seed extraction, (2) acid extraction which is not recommended, and (3) extraction by fermentation, which is the preferred method. Fermentation is the preferred method because it is a natural process that is least harmful to the seed and can destroy bacterial canker and other seed-borne diseases. Fermentation should be a controlled process. Though not difficult to do, it can be done incorrectly, in which case the ferment produces a bad smell and an overgrowth of white fungus which can stain and damage the seed. Details of the proper procedure are described in the section below.

FERMENTATIVE EXTRACTION The preferred method for producing commercial-grade seed

The best quality seed is obtained by fermentative extraction. The process basically consists of breaking or mashing up the fruit into pulp, seeds, and juice, and then pouring the mixture (“mash”) into a large container where it ferments for a period lasting usually three days. After fermentation is complete the seed is separated by washing, and then the seed is dried. Though the process is quite simple there are some important details for performing the process properly.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Before I save tomato seeds I cut a tomato and taste it first. I want to make sure I have a good tasting tomato before I save seeds from it.

I push the seeds out of the tomato into a 5 gallon bucket of water. I save seeds from several good tasting tomatoes. I don't save seeds from deformed tomatoes or plants that have problems.

Seeds have enzymes on them that keep seeds from germinating inside the wet tomato. I let seeds soak in a 5 gallon bucket of water until the next day or maybe 2 or 3 days this removes the enzymes so seeds germinate very easy. I scoop the seeds out of the water with a 6" diameter screen wire strainer. I push the seeds around the screen wire with my finger most of the gel stuff pushes through the screen wire or sticks to the wire.

I dump the seeds on a paper plate to dry in the kitchen. Usually before bed time the paper plate has soaked up most of the water so I scrap the seeds onto another dry paper plate.

Next morning seeds are looking much dryer but they need to dry for several days before putting them into enveloped with labels and dates.

I took 12 seeds from the tomato seed pack and planted them in plant trays and they all grew. I set the trays under a shade tree when plants were 6" tall I planted them in the garden. Now the tomato plants are knee high and doing fine. It looks like I have a good pack of tomato seeds. I hope to have tomatoes I can taste by November I want to make sure these seeds are worth saving and growing next spring. We love the flavor of all the Beef Steak varieties, Big Beef, Beef Master & Jet Star. I planted all Big Beef tomatoes this year.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”