suggi

Problem mulch

I had posted once before about a white mold on old mulch under bushes. I now have a new layer of mulch all around the house and now on the south side where the sun always shines (except lately -- lots of rain) - I'm in Massachusetts. There are large white patches now on the new mulch - opposite side of the house.

Is it really harmless slime mold since it is never a yellow color? Just white and then turns black and then appears to be going back to white again.

Yesterday I went out with a mask from Ace Hardware and shoveled it into a garbage bag and put it in the trash. It is right under the bedroom window and with my health problems I am in a quandry. My PCP knows nothing about mold and doesn't seem to want to know anything about mold. My immune system is shot, I have high amounts of mold mycotoxins in my blood from a problem we had in the house (and that could be the cause of the immune problem) and allergies to almost every drug and everything now. I don't even know if I got it all.

If it truly is slime mold I shouldn't worry about it and just leave it per the information I have gotten about slime mold -- but it always says it is yellow and mine never has been. Is there a slime mold that is white only?

Thanks for your help. -- BTW this is on the exact opposite of where it was in the first place and I checked there and there is none under the bushes in the front on the north side.........where you would think it would be with hardly any sun and all the rain we have had here. ??????????

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

That's the problem with wood when it is damp. Maybe you should consider gravel/stones. River rock. Especially outside of your window. Put down a weed barrier first. It's work but isn't your health more important?

cklandscapingorlando

Moisture is the problem.The mulch sounds like its simply composting.I for one would love to throw that in the compost pile.You may need a gutter or to regrad around your house to help shed the water.Or get rid of the mulch.the plants probly use up the water faster so you don't find it under there

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

suggi- at this point in time and based on your repeated references to your health, I would suggest you seriously consider one of the following-

a) get a relative, friend, or neighbor to take photographs of what exactly it is that is repeatedly upsetting you and post them in either this thread or any one of these threads-
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=45729
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43832
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=49865

b) take samples of what is upsetting you to your extension office and get a positive identification. There are several convenient locations in Massachusetts that provide these services. To the best of my knowledge, the service would be free if you used the extension office.

c) send some of it off to a lab for identification. Consider Cornell's lab. Their turn around time is fast and they are affordable. They also provide you with step by step instructions on how to take a sample.

d) hire someone qualified to do a site visit and let them identify it for you.

e) In lieu of photos, take the time to go online and do google or yahoo searches for images to see if you can find a match to what you've got going on in your yard on your own. If you find an image that matches what you've got in your lawn, post the url to it in this thread or one of the other three threads you started on the same subject.

And, consider changing PCPs. In my mind, there's something fundamentally wrong with a PCP who you claim "knows nothing about mold and doesn't seem to want to know anything about mold" particularly when you are so obsessed with molds given the mycotoxins in your blood from the problem you had in the house. Speaking of which, was that problem ever taken care of to your satisfaction and have you had a professional back out for a re-inspection? Seems prudent to me to have a qualified professional come back out to be able to put your mind to rest that the previous situation no longer poses health risks to you don't you think?

There are many slime molds out there. They come in a wide array of colors. They are not always yellow. I do not know what information you have gotten your hands on that said a slime mold is always yellow.

Return to “Landscaping”