spencejam

Preparing a weedy expanse for later this year or next spring

For those who looked at my Bauhaus arch. post, you will notice that a few of the pictures (https://gallery.mac.com/spencejam1#100125&bgcolor=black&view=grid) show a lot of weeds. I probably will not be able to plant this area this year so what should I do?

This area is on a slight grade, so the weeds are preventing some erosion, but, this area is already full of roots, dead vines that were ground cover. I cleared a lot of ground cover with Roundup last year, and I'm trying to avoid a simply chemical solution this time around: and I also want to know if I should plant something like rye grass, or something else that will reduce the weeds. Or should I just cover the area with mulch (the soil there is somewhat sandy)? What equipment will I need to prep this area once I'm ready to plant? One of those roto-tiller things that you can rent at Home Depot???

Please help a novice in the dark on this issue.

Jim

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Assuming you don't want to do any regrading I would pull out any woody material or rocks now, cut back the weedy vegetation with a string trimmer as short as possible, cover the area with damp newspaper about six sheets thick and cover that with about 3 inches of good quality compost. You can plant right through it in the spring.

You do need to give some thought to what you intend to plant as a few things, Polygonatums come to mind, would like sandier soil and don't really care for lots of organic material.

If you can find a good one I repeat my advice to hire a professional. Some professionals will come in on an hourly consultant basis as opposed to designing the entire project. I think the right collaborator will save you time and money and come up with ideas you never would have considered. You would be looking for someone with a strong horticultural background AND a landscape construction background AND a good design sense.

Return to “Landscaping”