newmoon2night
Newly Registered

Advice for getting rid of weeds organically please

We're getting a bit desperate with this, so any advice will be gratefully appreciated.
Where we live (in rented property), we have an ancient cobble yard which measures something like 60 metres by 20 metres.
In between the cobbles are weeds ... lots of them ...lots of tufts of grass, some buttercups and a few dandelions, and lots more.
The yard is also full of wildlife ... garden birds, voles, owls, pheasants, grouse, hares, moorhens, rabbits, toads, newts and a stoat! The cobbles run off into a soakaway that drains into an alder-lined pond.
We have to find a way of managing the weeds so the yard looks presentable, but really can't bring ourselves to spray with weedkiller. There is always wind blowing here too, as the place is very exposed!
We've tried washing soda in a test area, and that gets rid of some moss but not the weeds. And we have concerns over altering the pH of the soil.
We've manually dug the weeds out from between the cobbles, but there is very little to show from many hours weeding!
We've tried a flame gun, and because everything is pretty moist that has little effect either.
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!
Thank you
:flower:

cheshirekat

I used plastic to smother large sections of weeds until I could get around to those areas. You can use black landscaping fabric. Plastic can be weighed down with straw a few inches thick. When you sweep the plastic aside after a few months, the weeds will all be dead under the plastic. You can even layer newspaper under the plastic that will break down in the soil.

You can top the plastic with pots of your favorite plants, herbs, etc. That's what I've been doing - one section at a time. The plastic was a big help in buying me some time so the whole yard wasn't so overwhelming. Weeds have a habit of growing too quickly even in the sections I didn't have covered with plastic. They like to creep in right at the edge of the plastic and are stealthy growers in my strawberry patch.

Return to “Landscaping”