TLU
Newly Registered

Front yard rebuild

I need to rebuild our flower bed and wall in the front yard. When I originally built it I made it way to big so I’m going from 14’ wide to I think 4’. I used landscape timbers the first time but I hope to use concrete block if we can afford it. We have a crabapple tree that’s 23 years old that we don’t want to loose so it’s causing us issues on how to lay out the bed. We plan on keeping plants to a minimum using perennials.

I attached the plan I’m leaning towards.
Sorry the plan is reversed from the photo.
I have several questions.
1) Does the layout look ok?
2) Does the tree look ok or do we need another one on the other end of the bed?
3) Wife wants a fence like we have. Is the fence in the plan look ok or do you have a better idea?

Thanks in advance
57BE369B-68DB-4541-8120-EFE906FB7906.jpeg
4B629E96-FE55-4A31-806D-FCF88222A9FE.jpeg

WolfgangM
Newly Registered

The tree doesn't look bad, but it could use some shaping. The fence may be extraneous if you create some sort of barrier along the porch like some higher shrubs - 3 to 4 ft high with shorter ones in front toward the yard. It depends on how much privacy you are looking for. That is a technical as I usually get as I hand off the details to my landscaper when I am rehabbing a house. You may find some other interesting ideas in a book I found helpful and a friend of mine reviewed. https://choicepropertysolutions.com/entries/general/ideas-4-landscaping-review In any case, good luck.

imafan26
Mod

I think the tree is fine, but I also agree it does need some shaping. It is actually growing out of scale with the house. The house is short so it does not need things that are taller than the house in front of it. It will just make the house look even smaller.
I also agree that a fence is not really necessary if you use shrubs as a border. I would keep the shrubs high enough for privacy but not so high that you can't see anything out from the windows.

The plan is very linear. I myself would like to see more fluid lines and the pathway to be more meandering. However, for practicality, I would build the path of least resistance that is the most direct path you would naturally take from point A to point B. In other words, I would eliminate the corner in the path and make it more diagonal and direct to the driveway. It would be the path you would normally choose to go to if there was nothing in the way. I would walk it a few times with things you would normally carry with you like groceries or a garden cart or wheel barrow (for maintenance purposes and use that trail as a guide for where the path should be. Paths ideally should be comfortably wide enough for two people to walk side by side.
I would also find the path more interesting to walk if there were plantings on either side rather than just on one side and grass on the other. P.S. I think grass is boring and not interesting . Having the path cut through the middle of the bed will allow you to have plants that can be easier maintained on both sides. Plants will provide visual interest and you can include some fragrant plants as well. They don't necessarily look good on their own, but they add a lot to the ambiance in the garden. Make the side of the bed near the house maybe 2-3 ft wide and you can go as far as 4 ft wide on the side of the path that faces the turf.

The house is painted neutral gray color and it does not have any architectural features that stand out, so the flowers and front garden will be the main feature. It really depends on what kind of curb appeal you want. If you want more of a private pathway then I would put the pathway inside the garden bed, but if you want to create a more welcoming curb appeal (even if you don't use it much,) I would connect the service pathway to a wider pathway that features an approach to the front door from the turf. I would paint the front door and shutters another color to make it stand out more.

Mulch under the tree is fine, but you could also plant some seasonal color like bulbs there. Or I would always take advantage of a tree if it has a nice view to put a bench there to make it more inviting. It depends on how you use your outdoor space. I like to keep benches and a small bistro table outside under trees and on the lanai for having breakfast, relaxing in afternoons when it too hot to be inside, or in the evening star gazing. I do make sure my tiki torches and mosquito punks are fired up for that.

Return to “Landscaping”