samna
Newly Registered

The rocks and garden are overgrown...

We moved out of our house because of a change in work location 6 or so years back. Part of the extended family moved in. Recently we moved back and they moved out. The family did not upkeep the front landscaping. So, what used to be a white rock area with plants spaced nicely around a center patio area (large, flat slabs of rock) looks nothing like its former self. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. It is in the front of the house, between the garage and the front door, so there is no ignoring it for me.

You can barely tell rocks are in there until you take a tool to the plants and prickly weeds and find yourself with a mix of plant, rock, soil.... The rocks would need a power washing after being dug out and separated to look anything like what they did previously. The center slabs are missing.... I guess at least I don't have to deweed with rocks in that spot. HAHA! This is a good sized space, at least 6 foot by 20, so what was previously a small task just to got out and weed a little is now more daunting with the major neglect and a regular busy life.... Has anyone ever tried to come back from this? :lol: One idea I had was to physically dig through the mess, remove the rocks, hose down the rocks a bit, (I have no pressure washer), and put them back after replanting, but the amount of time it would take makes me wonder at the feasibility. Any ideas? Sorry for the mouthful!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oops! duplicate post
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Personally, I would just start over. Rake out as much of the rock as you can easily. Then put down some more soil, maybe put an edging around so you can raise the area up a bit with more soil on top of the rock. Then plant and mulch. I prefer bark chip mulch to rocks, because of what you have seen. The rock readily sinks into the soil and gets mixed in and then it is a big pain. The bark breaks down to feed the soil and gets out of the way.

imafan26
Mod

I agree. It might be a good opportunity to clear it out and start with a blank slate. White rocks never stay white. They always end up collecting dirt and debris even in the best of conditions. It would probably not be worthwhile power washing them and since they are rocks and loose. It could be a little dangerous as the rocks could become missiles.

Return to “Landscaping”