LaurenCny
Newly Registered

Landscaping Help for a Newbie

Hello!

I’m completely new to this whole landscaping world. My husband and I decided to tackle this project by ourselves and now we’re stuck. I planted a bunch of shrubs along with a Pom-Pom tree, hydrangea tree and a weeping Japanese maple. The trees are in good spots. I just need help with the shrubs surrounding them. I’m willing to move some around as we haven’t put any mulch down yet. Also, there are 2 andromedas that we haven’t planted yet and the perennials are also not planted. We also plan on widening the areas as well. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thank you! :)
Attachments
364F9EDA-E77C-46D7-B9C5-8E15C674002D.jpeg
B4156201-50A8-403D-A30D-08178D4EC685.jpeg
9268BCE5-3FE0-4B66-A442-431444EF87CD.jpeg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It isn't bad, but too small, out of scale with the house and with everything lined up in straight rows like little soldiers.

Here's a couple threads with landscaping principles and examples:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/ ... es#p405881

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/ ... es#p400893

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/ ... 04#p328204

LaurenCny
Newly Registered

Thank you!

applestar
Mod

I’m a little concerned that they are all planted too close to structures as well as to each other. Did you research their ultimate height and width? You can only prune so much. Are you willing to cut them down later to save one or the other?

...what is the tree-like plant at the corner? There is a tendency even by professionals to plant something that will get very WIDE in a corner location too close to the house. Right now, you should be able to walk full shoulder width between the shrubs and the house at the very least.

LaurenCny
Newly Registered

The shrubs are about a foot from the foundation. Yes, I researched their full growth and were given instructions from the nursery pertaining to distance.

The tree on the end is a hydrangea tree.

imafan26
Mod

It is hard to tell what it will mature to be. It seems like there are too many foundation shrubs and too many colors. I think the beds should be wider and the shrubs not lined up but offset and fewer of them. Most of the shrubs are the same, they have a rounded appearance. If you are going for a formal look, it does need to be more repetitive and have less color. I would use annuals for colors through the season. The annuals should also be coordinated and only one or two colors used. Vary the texture and form of the leaves for interest. Foundation plants are the bones of the design and should anchor the plantings. Pick either to be formal or informal, but it will look less chaotic if you stick to one style.

I suggest you look at designs in magazines or online. Take a ride around the neighborhood and make note of designs and ideas you like. Riding around the neighborhood will also give you a good idea of what plants do well and in a more mature neighborhood you may see what the plants look like as they mature.

LaurenCny
Newly Registered

So you think 5 shrubs by the foundation are too many? The 2 andromedas are not planted, are you counting those?

Return to “Landscaping”