Travellar

Field Maze

My wife and I have a field beside our house, and in this field I have a maze. It's about 1.5 acres, I cut it into the fescue with a lawn-mower. After three years, I have a design I think I'd like to keep. Probably about 2000 feet or so of walls to this maze.

Any suggestions on how to make such an endeavor permanent and maintainable? Pitfalls I should keep in mind?

I don't really have a budget, so buying up materials for a huge brick wall isn't doable. Hedges could work, but only if they are something I could replicate endlessly (cuttings and new growth, repeated for maybe two or three years) I like the grass walking surface, but it needs to be kept mowed; will this be likely to cause problems with hedges or vice versa?

Lastly, I have maple seeds by the thousands, if kept short enough (pseudo-bonsai), can I make a hedge from maple?

Southern Indiana, zone six, I believe. field receives full sun, heavy rain in spring, mild draught in summer, sub-zero winters.

jeanettehs
Newly Registered

I like the idea of a maze. I've been planning to do one in my 2 acre area using lavender as the walls. If you are looking for taller walls that you cannot see over then lavender is definitely not the right plant. Tall shrubs such as lilac can be trimmed as walls and they spread well so you can gradually grow enough to extend the 2000 feet. I honestly don't know if the maple trees will take kindly to being "hedged". I'll leave that question for someone with more tree experience.

Return to “Landscaping”