JennR
Newly Registered

A Little Privacy Please?

Hello - we recently moved into a Seattle-area home with beautiful mature landscaping. However, because the lot was subdivided, our backyard has an overwhelming view of our neighbors' two-story home. The common method of creating a privacy screen is to plant a line of Arborvitae (Emerald Green, in this case), as they are not too wide (-3'), and can be purchased 10-12 feet high. However, we are looking for some other alternatives, and would appreciate any input. Here are some of the parameters:

- Must be 10-12 feet tall either immediately, or in a relatively short period (we're not getting any younger!)
- While ground coverage up to the 6' mark is fine, it's not required. In other words, a fairly mature tree with an off-the-ground canopy is definitely worth considering. Our intent is primarily to block the upper windows of our neighbor.
- NOTE: Rhododendron bushes/trees are plentiful here, but we're unclear as to how fast they grow, and how large of one could be transplanted. It seems these would be great due to their year-round leaves.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_8109.jpg

applestar
Mod

Your photo shows the area in a pretty heavy shade, how much sun does it actually get? Would there be more sun higher up?

If sunny enough, one option while waiting for something more perennial/permanent to grow up is to plant something annual. I always grow corn and sunflowers for fun and to create some privacy screening.

In my case, I prefer to have summer coverage/privacy but prefer more open feeling in the wintertime. I feel like it’s not as critical during the shorter winter days when nobody stays outside for long. I grew 12 foot Bloody Butcher corn one year and had a lot of fun with those, then last year, I grew some Pink and Purple Mexican corn which I just knew were going to be big/tall since the seed corn kernels were as big as my thumbnail. I’m pretty sure they grew to be about 15 feet (as tall as the 2nd story windowsill)

I’ve grown the Grey Striped Giant sunflower which also grew level with the 2nd story windowsill.

Another option might be to build an arbor trellis and then grow some kind of vines — perennial or annual, evergreen or seasonal.

American native elderberry grows to 15 feet or more. They are not reliable since they winterkill and so their growth and shape is morphic but I do have one of those strategically located to block neighbor’s window, and in full summer glory, all the foliage as well as the early summer giant umbels of flowers do just that.

ronbart

We had a privacy problem with a neighbor whose lot is slightly elevated from ours. We planted a row of chanticleer flowering pear. They quickly formed an almost solid 20 ft. hedge that screens visually and sound as well. The tiny fruit attracts and feed birds, especially cardinals. The bottom branches are trimmed up to the top of a 6ft. privacy fence.

JennR
Newly Registered

Thank you applestar and ronbart!

While the picture shows shade, it was taken in the morning. During the day it gets 5-6 hours of full sun, and a few more hours of filtered sun.

I'm looking to plant something fairly mature and permanent, and would consider a deciduous tree if it would produce the needed upper-window screen (12') in a few years. I'll look into the pear, as it seems to have the relative narrow profile for our smaller garden, while offering some beautiful flowering and fall color. However, I'm not sure how common it is in our zone (8a).

I may also look into a structure, like the trellis you suggested. I'm wonder how tall you can go with those. We'll see.

Return to “Landscaping”