jallen
Newly Registered

Property border work to hide chain-link fence

Hi folks,

Our house is located in a neighborhood with small lots. My new border-neighbor has a inherited the rusted chain-link fence that came with his nice house.

I've approached the neighbors with the idea of removing the fence, but they don't seem amenable to that.

What we want is a way to visually state "This rusty, chain-link fence doesn't not belong to us". :wink:

The only thing that I've thought of is installing a corner fence next to the chain-link fence. Something like this:
https://sharonandted.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... -6-14.html

or maybe a corner picket fence. However, it would be only about half a foot from the chain-link, and I'm not sure if that would look too weird to justify the statement.

I'd appreciate any recommendations or suggestions!

Thanks,
Jim

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

bamboo fencing to go in front of the chain link on your side. It comes in rolls or panels. The rolls you can just roll out and tie to the fence.

It can look nice:

it comes in various diameters of the bamboo poles and various natural shades from light to dark

There's also something called reed fencing in rolls. It is similar to bamboo, but more economical and lighter weight, meaning it may not last as long.

I've been planning to do this at my house, but so far we have had many other projects to work/ spend on. :)

jallen
Newly Registered

RainbowGardener,

Thanks! What a cool idea. I didn't know that even existed!

Jim

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

One of my images seems to have disappeared. Trying again:

glad you like the idea.

Here's a bonus picture:

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the top one of these may actually be the reed fencing. The bottom one is clearly actual bamboo.

ronbart

You might want to check and see if the fence is on the property line or set back. In a lot of places both land owners are responsible for upkeep and maintenance of the fence on a property line. If it is set back, it is the sole property of the land owner. The roll fencing can cause wind damage to an unbraced fence that you would be responsible for if not on your property. I have all my fences set back 6 inches from the line just so none of my neighbors can modify them without trespassing.

imafan26
Mod

Reed fencing is the top one. Bamboo is the second. Reed fencing works best in a frame. The reeds are much smaller and it will gray over time, the bamboo will also change color over time if it is not sealed. Reed fencing lasts about 5 years.
You could plant a hedge on your side of the fence to block the fence but you will need some space for maintenance on the fence side.
You could put planters with a built in screen made of lattice in front of the fence.. If you use it for a trellis, you will need to provide space in the back to maintain it.
If you make planter boxes without the trellis. Filled with the right plants it would still make an effective screen.

jallen
Newly Registered

Thanks for the responses!

The chain-link fence is set back about 5 or 6 inches.

My wife and I talked about it, and, since this is a front-yard, up to the sidewalk, situation we think the bamboo is not the best idea.

We're leaning towards a "horse fence", for lack of a better term, that would parallel the chain-link. By "horse fence" I mean two spaced pieces of wood run parallel between 4x4 poles -- running just as far as necessary to deliver the message to anyone looking at our house. I'm sure you've seen them before.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts about this.

Thanks,
Jim

imafan26
Mod

I know what you mean. It would not block the view of the other fence but if it works for you. I live in commie ville, street front chain link fencing, and parallel fences are both not allowed. I don't know about the post and rail fence. Not many people would bother with that since it would not keep anything out or keep the design committee from peeking in.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

If worse comes to worse, there's always the option of silver Rustoleum paint and a roller to make quick work of painting the fence to freshen it up a bit. There are several types of paint out there that can go over rusted material and make it look pretty good====for a while that is. Eventually the rust, if heavy enough, will come through again.

Return to “Landscaping”