Chompa1422
Newly Registered

Retaining wall on fence question

Hi, I have been trying to figure out if it would be ok to put a retaining wall next to a fence? My lawn is sloped and I would like to install a retaining wall "not attached " to the fence but right next before it So it can hold all the new dirt I will use to level my entire back yard thanks for the help

applestar
Mod

Are you concerned because the fence is made of wood?

Chompa1422
Newly Registered

Yes,I don't know if with all the pressure it would. Fall over or of anyone's done this before the reason I want to do it this way is because I later would like to change my fence from 6ft to 8 ft and have a bit more privacy

imafan26
Mod

It sometimes depends on where you live. My HOA does not allow parallel fences. Usually people here build tile walls on the bottom and put the fence on top of the tile wall. The tile wall would require a building permit if it is a retaining wall and would require weep holes. You have to make sure the water is not directed at your neighbors property unless you have a fluid easement and you have to make sure the wall does not trap water in your yard. Pooling after rain is a problem with yards that build fortresses around here. They usually destroy the swales building the walls then fail to address drainage and have flooded back yards when it rains hard.

Return to “Landscaping”