Subersibo
Newly Registered

Rough grade and gravel backyard question

Hi all!
I'm new here and have a question. We just bought a house and the backyard has been rough graded by the builder. We have no intention of having a lawn but would like to lay gravel in most parts and a few plants and trees here and there and build a pond.
Would I still need to have it graded any further (final grade) or have any kind of work done before working on it or can I just put landscape fabric, lay the gravel and ammend the soil where we wanna put plants?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

The problem with laying landscape fabric in a large area is that eventually plants will grow on top of it and send roots through the fabric. Then you'll have a huge mess because pulling weeds pulls up the fabric.

I would think you could go ahead and add more gravel where you want it and plant the trees and plants where you want them.

Have you considered planting in containers? You wouldn't have to amend the soil and you would be able to move the plants where you want them instead of having only a few areas where you can plant.

Subersibo
Newly Registered

Thanks for the response. Ok, no weed fabric then. Yes, I am considering some potted japanese maples but would also like to plant a few shrubs and clumping bamboo directly in the soil. Also planning to dig out a pond somewhere.
As of now there are bumps and some holes in the hard ground so
I had a landscaper come by for an estimate ($800 for a full grading/levelling) but I am thinking since I am not planning on having a lawn that might not be necessary?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Grading and leveling are up to your personal preferences. If the bumps and dips don't bother you then don't have them leveled. Besides, you'll have to put the soil/gravel from the hole for the pond somewhere. Why not just use that to level some of your dips.

Return to “Landscaping”