coolhandpuke
Newly Registered

100 foot garden fence woes

Hi guys so I'm in the worst place around at the top of a hill and my back garden is around 100 foot long, the wind cuts through to our fencing and rips them apart nearly every year we lose 3 or 4 panels, mainly due to the god awful job done with the concrete posts in the first place (we are also on around a 25% slope so the posts have moved and considerably around the oak tree) and is a nightmare, we have had 3 lots of fences replaced in 10 years and now I'm sick of it!

So I was thinking of using the existing (all be it crooked) concrete posts and using wire fencing, something like CHAIN LINK FENCING? but that seems expensice, basically the idea is to have the fencing and grow a vine to create effectively a vine hedge?

Any help advice and certainly where to shop and what vine might be nice is all really appreciated

Cheers

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Are your panels side by side, or are the staggered back to front? You may want to try staggering them back to front if they aren't that way already. The staggering allows wind to flow, while still preserving privacy. It would take some work, and the cost of screws, but waaaaaaay cheaper than a new chain link fence.
IMG_7011.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Actually if you redo the boards so that they are only on one side and you put a little space between the boards, it will break up the wind as it passes through into smaller flurries. The fence will not be 100 % private but it usually works. Wood fences don't last forever, typically 10-15 years. The support 2x4 and 4x4 in the ground will give out first.

A chain link fence will last a lot longer but not a lot of privacy. It is not that hard to break into a chain link fence. Once a link is cut it unwinds.

I would prefer that when it comes time to replace the fence that you put in a CMU wall with screen tile. The screen tile provides security but it allows air to pass through. CMU does not rot, although it won't stand up to an earthquake or a car running into it.

coolhandpuke
Newly Registered

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Are your panels side by side, or are the staggered back to front? You may want to try staggering them back to front if they aren't that way already. The staggering allows wind to flow, while still preserving privacy. It would take some work, and the cost of screws, but waaaaaaay cheaper than a new chain link fence.
Yes have considered this as an option but the reduced privacy does put me off a little, the wooden panels would last a damn site longer if the lazy *** next door would paint his side but alas thats not going to happen. Also is this a make your own panels affair or are there places you can buy them pre made?

This is why I thought about using chain link and then growing an ivy hedge, wont rot and when grown will still allow wind through.

I cant be doing with building a 100ft MCU wall on a 25% slope I'm afraid so thats out

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We have them staggered back to front around the back yard pool, and you can't see anything in or out unless you try really REALLY HARD.

Local Lowe's or Home Depot should have what you need, or you make your own!

You could ask your neighbors if they mind if YOU go over and paint their side... maybe?

imafan26
Mod

Lowe's and Home depot sell fence panels that are cut the way your fence is. The cheaper fence panel would have a flat cut. If you paint or stain the wood before you put it up it will last a little longer. I looked into installing the vynyl fences but according to the internet they don't last much longer than a wood fence in my area because of the rain and humidity. It may last longer under better conditions. Some of them are solid panels you would put up in sections but they don't let air through which means they still will be up against the force of a strong wind and won't allow the wind to flow through it. I do know they get dirty and I don't know how people clean them. I see a lot of those fences that are never cleaned, but they are white fences. You can use galvanized fence posts instead of wood and use connectors for the panels. You just have to make sure the steel posts are well anchored. Steel post also rot. It just takes a few more years. Mine did rot out at the soil line after about 25 years.

If you put up a chain link fence yourself you can cut the cost a lot since most of the cost is in the labor. Fencing and post should cost less than $400, much less if you are not in Hawaii. If you can get some help setting the posts and rent a fence puller to tighten it up. It does not offer privacy until the plants cover it. Or you can get slats that fit in the fence for privacy.
Fence slats are not that cheap. It would cost about $250 plus shipping for 100 ft and they still have only a 10 year warranty.
https://www.fencescreen.com/Fence-Slats.aspx

Around here whoever owns the fence has to maintain it. There are still problems when homeowners put up a jointly owned fence on the property line especially if there is no agreement how the maintenance cost will be shared or if the neighbor moves.

At our other house, we put up a hedge instead of a fence.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

In some states the person who erects and pays for the fence is the owner and has the right to enter the neighboring property to maintain said fence.

Return to “Landscaping”