Aoife
Newly Registered

Removing very large boulders

hello,
can you help advise on removing large boulders?
I have been awarned not to remove them via blasting as this will damage the foundations of the house. So I wondered was there a way to dissolve them?? Or is this a completely crazy idea. I would also be keen not to use anything that might damage the environment.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Chances are the boulders are granite and no, there is no environmentally safe way to dissolve them. The only way to get rid of them is to hire a backhoe or other such large piece of machinary to pull them away from your residence and perhaps a dumptruck to carry them to some other location.

I would advise you to keep them as a part of your landscape. At my mother's place there was a large glacial boulder on her property that we included as a part of one of her beds. Planted some species of tall grass next to it and pine in front of it. It actually looks pretty nice.

If you really wanted to go crazy you could get a router with a diamond tipped bit and carve out planters in your boulders and grow plants in them.
Last edited by opabinia51 on Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aoife
Newly Registered

many thanks - I think I will just need to think very creatively about my garden. Thanks again!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I couldn't help but respond to this one! I have a completely flat, sandy property. My husband and I have spent years and much sweat and tears driving the back roads and dragging home boulders to add to our yard (I'm talking BIG boulders!). It sounds funny to hear someone trying to get rid of something we have fought so hard to get!
Val :lol:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Even those of us in rocky New England like some big rock to garden around; think about dumping topsoil around them to make them "part of the landscape" and plant that. Rock is a great foil for plants...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I always liked the Lichens that grow on exposed rocks. Not to mention the stoneworts.

Knickanick is a nice ground shrub to have growing around rocks as well. I've seen it growing up in the Tundra of Northern Canada but, we planted as a low maintenance ground cover at a local Gov't institution. The berries are edible but, not very palatable. I guess if you boiled them down they would be okay.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Lots of game birds find them very palatable...

Grows EVERYWHERE on Cape Cod; very versatiole and tough groundcover. Don't know why we don't see it more often in the landscape...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I think that it would look very nice around those boulders. Maybe with a few shrubs and some grasses. Could look really nice

Return to “Landscaping”