nyakavt
Newly Registered

Tilling rocky clay soil - Garden claw?

I've got a hill in the back yard that I need to clean of grass and weeds, and I'd rather not rent a roto-tiller. Here in Raleigh we have red clay soil that is very rocky. Has anybody use the Garden Claw in clay soils? I've read lots of reviews and they all seem to have problems in clay. They also offer a "super" garden claw which you step on and then turn, specifically for clay. Are these usable?

Thanks,

John

[url]https://www.gardenweasel.com/invention_success_stories/Garden_Claw.asp[/url]

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

It seems like spading fork would be faster and easier but how big (in area) is the hill and what are you trying to achieve? I try to avoid tilling soil as much as possible as it damages soil ecology and harms soil texture.

nyakavt
Newly Registered

It's pretty big. Sloped at 30°, about 6 feet high and 30 feet long (about 350 sq ft). I need to remove the existing plants (grass and weeds) completely. I've killed a lot of them but haven't yet pulled them out. I know this is going to be a pretty big project, I plan on doing it a bit at a time and planting some ground cover as I get it cleared to prevent soil erosion.

I've read a bit about the soil degredation from tilling. I want to use the easiest method for removing the existing plants since I'll be doing a lot of it, possibly at the expense of soil health. I can't really use a roto-tiller since I need to be able to work a few hours at a time, and I can't afford to purchase one. Any ideas?

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Usually you can find rototillers for rent by the hour so that might be an option.
One downside of tilling is that it brings seeds to the surface where they can germinate. When time permits and the scale of the project is small enough I usually opt for covering the site with newspaper (about six sheets thick, moisten immediately so it isn't blowing all over) and then covering that with a couple inches of compost or some sort of fine organic mulch. Ideally you wait a year and then plant through the covering. With a 30 degree slope you would probably need to create some temporary water bars to keep the covering from washing off. The newspaper will disintegrate in a year or two and worms, arthropods and insects will do the tilling for you.

Return to “Landscaping”