simplicio
Newly Registered

Flowerbed around raised deck

I recently bought a house with a raised deck (maybe 4' above grade) with a flowerbed around it. As it stands, the flowerbed has a higher soil level, maybe 6" higher than the grade underneath the deck, so that the soil tends to slough under the deck. There used to be trellis around the edge of the deck but it was broken/rotten so we tore it out for now.

I think my options are (1) reduce the soil level in the flowerbed to grade so it doesn't slough, (2) install some sort of small retaining wall at the back.

If I went with (2) I'm not sure what I'd use for the wall or how I would interface that retaining wall with the trellis. One thought was to use keystone blocks and then let the trellis sit on top of them... another would be to use 4"x4" pieces of treated lumber as the wall and let the trellis sit on them... any thoughts? One thing I am trying to avoid here is the trellis getting buried and rotting.

Thanks!

nltaff

Hi Simplicio, I'm thinking the trellis/(lattice)? was installed to keep critters out from under the deck. In 2003, we built a mega deck (16'x42' across the front of our house with 10'x10' wrapped around the side). It, too, is 4' above grade and we needed to consider water shedding away from the house both summer and winter. In prep, we carted loads of stone, tapering the depth out away from the foundation. We use the deck in all seasons, so it is the first thing I clear off when it snows. That and installation of gutter helped our wet basement problem. I get that you want to keep the lattice from rotting (not something you want to keep replacing). If I had to do that here, I think I'd opt for 4"x6" posts (which, around here, tend to be straighter, or true to square). You might rout a rabbet in the 4" side to accommodate the lattice, and just toenail it in with a brad nailer. I'm thinking any block you used would retain moisture and tend to rot the lattice as well. You also might consider getting PVC lattice to avoid the rot altogether. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Last edited by nltaff on Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I would put in the plastic lattice panels. They hold up well, don't rot, and are available in a few colors.

nltaff

Yes, the plastic would definitely look better for a longer period of time, and the 4x6 would be hard work and overkill. I tend to over-build things anyway. :roll: I was thinking that with the 4' span, ground to deck surface, over time, the lattice might tend to undulate laterally (not stay straight anymore). Alternatively, you could install a 2"x4" nailer halfway-at 2' height to stiffen the lattice. I realized after I posted that I spelled rabbet wrong. :roll: Fixed that above (must have been thinking of my green beans) :D

simplicio
Newly Registered

Thanks for the suggestions! I think PVC lattice is indeed what I'll go with, good idea. I'm still inclined to somehow stop the soil at the back just to keep the flowerbed intact... may do as you originally suggested and put in 4" x 6". This will be a bit of a project as the line of the deck is not actually straight, it's convex.

nltaff

Ahh...ok. Maybe as an alternative to the heavy 4x6, you could use longer lengths of composite decking which would bend to conform to the convex placement of the support posts. They are typically standard 5 1/4" width so you could double up for about 10 1/2" of height and wouldn't be as noticeable once the lattice was installed. Good luck!

Return to “Landscaping”