rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Fun landscaping ideas

I thought it might be fun to share interesting little landscaping / garden ideas, either from your own garden or things you run across.

Here's one that someone sent me that they thought I would like and they were right. I might have to try this:
log planter.jpg
It's a hollowed out log, filled with potting soil and planted.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I love the log idea!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I did too. I seriously might have to do that some time.

There's a million fun landscaping ideas out there. A whole selection of them, like the log, fall in the category of ANYTHING can be a planter:

there's a number of variations on the idea of a garden bed:
garden bed.jpg

actually, I find that last one kind of creepy, but you get the idea

applestar
Mod

This is going to be one of my trial & error learning project this year as soon as temps settle above 50°F. The round form is an excercise ball. In the first picture, I believe the balls have been removed after the first layers of cement mix had set sufficiently, and they are being supported on the buckets for additional coats.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh I love them, applestar!! Those will be beautiful!! Another one of your ideas I might have to steal some time! :D

So you coat the ball with cement mix. After the cement is hardened, do you have to cut the ball to remove it?

These are pictures off the internet, not your pictures, right? The bottom picture was the give away-- I've never seen any picture of your garden looking so spare and orderly. :D (That is not a criticism, I love the abundance and liveliness of your gardens! )

applestar
Mod

Right. I'll get the links to the websites to attribute them -- these were in my notes. (I'll put them in a quote block for now, but good eye and :> for what you said :lol: ) Some of them will be YouTube links with the process. They used releasing agent -- veg oil I think, and fiberglass drywall repair tape etc. all over the ball and a tubing so ball could be deflated to remove.

I'll probably start a thread once I get going. :wink:

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I love the log flower garden idea! However I think that the log itself would absorb and suck out all the water from the soil.

The wheel idea is also amazing! I would definitely want that for my garden- to make the garden look more natural and farm-stylish.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The balls made me think of this:

They are stone spheres in Costa Rica made by the indigenous people. At least 300 of them have been found ranging in size from a few centimetres to over two meters in diameter. Some weigh 16 tons. Almost all of them are made of granodiorite, a hard, igneous stone. They are nearly perfect spheres, very smooth. Scientists believe the stones were first created around 600 A.D., with most dating to after 1,000 A.D. but before the Spanish conquest. to pre Columbian times.

No one really knows why they were made. They were done by hammering, pecking, and grinding on the stones, with stone tools.

I thought they were beautiful, especially when you think of the hundreds of hours that must have gone into shaping the larger ones.

They have now become a common motif in Costa Rica and there are many modern reproductions.

Return to “Landscaping”