Prairie

Winter landscaping

This is a question that I've tried to answer for myself for a long time. We all know how to landscape when things are "green". But, how do we improve the view from our window in the dead of winter? I would really like to look out and see something other than brown grass and leafless maple trees. Any advice would be helpful. I'll even pot some plastic flowers if I have to.

opp2

Prairie wrote:This is a question that I've tried to answer for myself for a long time. We all know how to landscape when things are "green". But, how do we improve the view from our window in the dead of winter? I would really like to look out and see something other than brown grass and leafless maple trees. Any advice would be helpful. I'll even pot some plastic flowers if I have to.
Well, if you have a garden, which I think you might, plant some interesting stuff that will say all winter. I have two dogwood shrubs with nice red twigs that really stand out against the white snow. I have three sedum that I didn't cut back in the fall so they catch the snow and look cool, as well as provide feed for the birds so I'm told. I've yet to see any around them.

I also have three junipers that are emerald green. You could plant holly that has green leaves and red berries (I hear they're poisonous however).

There is lots of stuff, but I think most are perrennials. The annuals we obviously pull most of in the fall..

Prairie

I've had sedum in the past, but haven't planted it at our new place. I really like it, so that's a great idea. I'm not familiar with the dogwood...I'll research this for my area and consider it. I have a huge backyard with not so much in it right now. I do have five large junipers tucked away on the side of our house. I love them, but cant see them very well. Thanks for the advice! :D

NEWisc

As I look out my window and see the 30 inch blanket of snow it's easy to relate to your question. :D

As opp2 mentioned, there are some nice red stemmed Dogwoods (Cornus species) that add a nice splash of red in the winter:
https://www.botany.wisc.edu/wisflora/pictures/photo/CORSTO_RWF4.jpg
Another nice splash of red is the Winterberry (Ilex verticillata). The red berries usually stay through much of the winter.
https://www.natorp.com/PL-WinterRedWinterberry.htm

One combination that I don't see mentioned much is Conifers and White Birch. In the winter it always gives me that "Christmas card" feeling. It's also a great combination for the summer.

Not a plant, but another winter feature that I enjoy is a bird feeder. Lots of different choices on styles, etc., and quite easy to manage. Black Oil Sunflower seed will draw many species of birds. There's always some activity at mine.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

If you are in Zone 6 I would like to suggest Heavenly Bamboo, Nandina Domestica. Forget it in Zone 5. It grows up to 8 feet, has multiple stems, green foliage, new foliage is reddish green but best of all red berries through the winter. It is a true Christmasie bush. I propagate from seeds at https://propagatingperennials.blogspot.com

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

From time to time we've grown sunflowers. Once they have a full head of seeds, we cut them down and bring them in the garage. Once winter hits we stick them out in snow banks for the birds. Squirrels sometimes knock them to the ground and it's fun watching them try to make off with a whole sunflower head.

I plant lots of fruiting trees and shrubs. The birds eat the berries but they frequently persist long past the holidays. Nothing prettier than branches of berries covered in snow dipping to the ground. Native grasses are beautiful in snow too. Come to think of it, Echinacea looks great blowing in the winter winds.

Return to “Landscaping”