jeffrois
Newly Registered

I need to block the view of a new hotel... please help!

Hello,
A tricky development occurred in the past year, a giant new hotel was just completed right behind our modest little condo building. Now, the guests on the top floor can see directly into my house and the hotel guests usually aren't too concerned with privacy or manners. There is a great rectangular planter along the visual plane of sight and we are only able to plant up to the top of the fence-line by the HOA. What low-water plants would fit for this situation? Any brilliant ideas?
Attachments
hotel.jpg

PaulF
Greener Thumb

HOAs really suck. Time to raise a stink at the next meeting and demand the group invests in some privacy screening. When the rules were written I bet a hotel that close was not considered. Maybe the hotel will consider helping out with some screens or at least help paying for them in consideration of their guests and neighbors.

For any helpful ideas we need to know your location to get the right plants in the right place. Good luck.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Ugh! I know how uncomfortable it is to be looked close at by strangers :x my father always says "it's like we're on their dinner plate" lol

Anyway, I'd build a lettice or some sort of platform overwich a vine can grow across. And let some sort of vine grow all over it.

Yes, you won't get that much sunlight though...

imafan26
Mod

Look into your HOA rules about what you are allowed to do. If you can do some screening you can use some rollup blinds or build a lattice screen and let some vines climb on it or use a faux screen which would have a 'green look but would not have as much maintenance or use fabric panels. At my HOA permanent structures require a permit but temporary structures have more leeway. If they complain it is easy enough to take down. Most HOA will allow roll up screens as long as they are aesthetic and in good condition. They don't like when people use tarps to block the sun on the lanais.
There are some ideas on outdoor screens you can build but unless it is portable the HOA would have to approve it most likely especially if it is visible from the outside.

https://www.thegardenglove.com/diy-patio ... y-screens/
Otherwise you need something tall and thick to not only block the view but also to screen out some of the noise. the only thing I can think of is bamboo but it is not drought tolerant.

Return to “Landscaping”