pravspresso
Newly Registered

Bought house with auto sprinkler

Yello!.

Any guidance is much appreciated.
I'm including a picture of the mechanism in the garage.
I don't know where the water valve is located. I did a walk around the house and did not see anything.
We bought the house in the winter. No inspection was done on the unit.
The line connection for power from the unit in the garage has no male outlet.
They cut it off for some reason. Just the two wires are exposed and hanging.
I assume I can just buy an outlet then reattach for power.
In any case, I have no idea what I'm doing with this thing.
The neighbours said the unit was working when the previous people leasing the home were in occupancy.
I was thinking just hook up the outlet for power. Set it to auto and see if it works.

Cheers,
P.Image

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Best to call a professional for electrical stuff.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Strange they cut the power off, it may be that it was not code. If you run one out make sure it has a GFI on it.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Maybe there was more to it, and they cut it off, and took it with them. There is a lot more to a sprinkler system than just that timer part you show there. Maybe look up watering timers to get an idea of what all the parts look like. And there may be a video on YouTube for setting up a watering system - just about everything else is there!

imafan26
Mod

It is a lawn genie. You can look up the manual on line for how to operate it.
It needs to be plugged in.
It still needs to be connected to a manifold. It looks like it has four stations but not all of them are being used.
Somewhere in the yard, usually near the house you should find the manifold. If might be under a plastic cover. If you follow the lines from the box they should take you to the manifold.

If it is an older system it may not be functional. When you buy a house you are supposed to have an opportunity to check the mechanical systems.

If it hasn't been used in a while it may need to be checked out anyway.

You do not call an electritian for that, you call a landscape company. If it was installed by the previous homeowner, then they have to trace everything and check it out anyway.

first I would download the manual
Turn the system on and see what happens.
If the sprinklers go on, you can mark the head locations
If not, then decide if you want to pursue getting it to work.
It isn't that hard, but you have to check the manifold to make sure the water is turned on, it isn't leaking, the system is still intact and the heads are functioning.
Automatic sprinkler systems still require regular maintenance and testing.
Is there an electrical outlet nearby?
You said the male part was cut off? Do you mean the plug you put in the outlet was cut off?

Return to “Landscaping”