Mom2kdnh
Newly Registered

Dog friendly & shade friendly ground cover?

My problem: Zone 5, outside Chicago, sub zero winters. Complete shade (two large trees). Four big active dogs.
Hoping a sturdy, shade loving ground cover can solve my problems - primarly my sweet fur children's muddy paws coming into my house year round (until the deep freeze!). Can anyone recommend a sturdy ground cover to survive our winters & my dogs? THANK YOU

applestar
Mod

Realistically, what are your expectations? What is the area like right now?

No mud -- I think it rains fairly often there, right?

Did you mention the zone and winter because you want this to be something that will stay green year-around? How tall is your idea of "ground cover"?

Are they male or female dogs? Do they tend to dig? How much time do they spend and play in the yard?

If you had lush green growths in the shady area, you know you are likely to then end up with mosquitoes if it stays wet all the time and possibly ticks if it stays dry all the time....

applestar
Mod

I had another thought --

I'm wondering if you are looking for solid mat forming groundcover that would act like lawn grass?

Is it completely shady everywhere? Could you grow a patch of lawn by the door like a giant doormat so even when they come from wet/muddy areas, they would end up "wiping their paws" on before coming to the door.

You may need to step away from preconceived idea of lawn and look into sturdier grass, maybe sedge.

Return to “Landscaping”