tjee
Newly Registered

Garden landscaping ideas.

Hi Folks, have just purchased this house in UK. The back yard was overgrown with weeds, have now cleared all and take couple of old tree stumps out. Total width is approx 5 meters and 10 meters in length. 5 meters in length is paved, and I will raise the paves and re level them as necessary. So, the back 5 meters by 5 meters is soil. At this stage I wish to do something that will stop the growth of weeds, for at least couple of years. I have been reading online ideas, one of which suggests, laying weed mat and covering it with Bark Mulch. Would appreciate if anyone would kindly share any other ideas they may have. Regards

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Tjee,

Warm welcome to the forum.

Please update your profile to include a more specific location in the UK. There are multiple growing environments within the UK so knowing a specific location will allow the forum members to provide you with better information.

I had a small landscaping business for 10 years. I am a big fan of pine straw/pine needle mulch for both weed control and moisture retention.

You can apply the pine straw with or without the weed mat. If you plan to plant or cultivate the area later on skip the weed mat. A major pain to remove.

IDK if pine straw is available in the UK. Are there pine trees? If you can get pine straw/needles apply a very thick layer - 12". Walk on it to start packing it down. It will quickly pack down to a 3" - 4" layer of intertwined needles that will keep your yard virtually weed free. Your yard will have a very attractive, woodsy look. Once it packs down it is very neat.

Good luck

imafan26
Mod

I used pine needles and it worked well for weed control. I could not use it around onions and alliums but it worked for just about everything else. It lets in air and water and took about 2 years to decompose so it lasts a long time. When I used chipped bark, the weeds grew on top of the mulch easily so the mulch had to be weeded often and the mulch has to be pulled back from the plants so the weeds grow up right at the plant bases. It is also harder to water since the mulch has to get watered first unless a drip system is installed under the mulch.

Return to “Landscaping”