AnniePDX
Newly Registered

suggestions for a flowering plant in shaded area near tree?

My dear neighbor just lost her cat and she buried him by his brother in a shaded area by the base of a tree. The bleeding heart she planted for the brother kitty is doing well. We live in Zone 8b, in Portland OR. Lots of rain (usually). She wants a hardy plant that will grow and flower in the summer. Sun is dappled at best. Ideas? Thank you! - Annie

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Fuschia likes shade. Hardy Fuschia is a good choice. There are other Fuschia varieties as well.

I love my Snowdrops. Bulbs, white flowers. But they bloom in the spring.

They work in my zone. Be sure to check if they work for your zone if you want to try these.

AnniePDX
Newly Registered

fuschia is a great idea! I was thinking astilbe. what do you think? maybe both.

imafan26
Mod

Helleborus, heuchera, or if you will take colored leaves instead of flowers, Japanese painted fern or trillium. Actually, for my cat I planted her favorite thing, bamboo in a pot. She liked to chew on the leaves and all of my cats love mint, but that one definitely had to be in a bowl.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Astilbe is very nice looking. I don't have any ecperience with them. It may or may not work together with Fuschia. Japanese Iris would work with Astilbe.

applestar
Mod

My bleeding heart goes dormant over the summer and I sometimes lose them because other plants surrounding them get too vigorous during the summer, so you may need to keep that in mind, ....it would probably be a good idea to look for a native shade plant especially if the bleeding heart is also a native species.

tracydr
Newly Registered

Aquilegia, foxglove. Violas.

laurie basler

I Love my shady corner of my yard that has Bleeding Hearts and Dirt Fuschias. Both come back year after year here in the northwest. I added a few dwarf Hosta here and there too. A Camelia and Flowering Cherry provide some bones.

Return to “Landscaping”