hcanning
Newly Registered

Soil with entangled roots and vines

Hi all,
I'm a total novice to gardening and hope you can give me advice. I have soil around my 200ft of fence that I'd like to turn into nice lawn. There are bush roots and vines entangled thru it as it borders woods. I put brush killer on it. Can I just order loam and cover it and reseed or should I put down landscape fabric on it first OR what should I do.
Land pic https://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=5d9129e
Thanks

imafan26
Mod

It is better not to site your garden right up against the fence. It is a solid fence and won't let air through and it is made of wood so might not be good for the fence in the long run to have a lot of water near it to stain and hurry up the rot.

It helps if you put your location and zone in your profile.

When starting a garden for vegetables or landscaping it is best to know which way it faces. If this is north facing the fence will shade part of the area right next to the fence for most of the day.

Most vegetable gardens and most flowering plants want to be either south or east facing without obstructions to get at least 4-6 hours of light. If there is a structure like a shed or house or large tree in front of it, it may be shaded part of the day.

If this is going to be a border bed for flowers and perennials, your zone and the amount of sun or shade you get will determine what is going to grow there. Wider beds are better than narrow ones.

if you are concerned about the roots, it might be better use thick cardboard over the existing site and build a raised bed with good soil. The cardboard will keep the roots at bay for awhile, but over time the cardboard will break down and the roots will infiltrate. I still would not build it right up against the fence. Leave a maintenance path way between the garden and the fence. It will be easier to do maintenance on the fence and you can keep it a no plant zone to keep what is on the other side of the fence, on the other side of the fence.

If you use an herbicide, you need to be careful since some herbicides may persist in the soil for awhile making it difficult to grow anything.

hcanning
Newly Registered

Thanks!!!

Return to “Landscaping”