Blagan
Newly Registered

Newbie needs help

Hi guys, newbie Gardner here seeking some advice for my garden.

Basically, I purchased some fence edging lengths to try and make a flower bed at the top of my garden (see pic below)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcng2oytk5bl8 ... 9.jpg?dl=0

I didn't realise how much the garden sloped until I'd dug out the trench.

Now I don't know where to go with it, I don't really want the edging sloping upwards and the garden is too sloped to have them flat.

So here is my question, can anyone recommend a feature I could add in it's place or some way of installing a flower bed where the trench is?

I truly am a beginner so any help is welcomed.

Thanks!

imafan26
Mod

There are a couple of less than ideal conditions here.

The slope is higher in the driveway and water will collect in the walkway. Hopefully the walkway slopes down from the house to the street.

You cannot make the bed lower than the surrounding area since it would allow water to collect next to the foundation of the house.

I would refill it with good soil ( mix in some organic matter and fertilizer into the existing soil). Fill it a little higher than it was and probably it will be easier to follow the existing slope. It will settle lower so that is why you have to fill it a little higher and slope it down toward the door but also forward away from the foundation.

I don't know what you are planting there it is a very narrow bed and I am guessing though that the natural path between the driveway and the front door is right in front of it.

Instead of the border you chose , I would use stones instead, it will be easier to stack them and still keep the top level. That type of border fencing really only works on level ground and the grade is too steep to make it look good.

Blagan
Newly Registered

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

Thank you very much for the advice, in the end I decided to keep the slope due to your advice about water collecting, so far so good :)

Return to “Landscaping”