Arrowanaguy
Newly Registered

Help! Bag worms

I have bag worms. They have killed one arborvitae. I seen the bags now on other plants, even a statue. I've read so much on the Internet and I don't know what's the most effective way. I know I need to get started soon before they go crazy this summer. Please advise.

applestar
Mod

There might be a better way, but what I did was to clip off and dispose of every one of the "bags" with the caterpillars hiding inside that I could reach, then sprayed the host shrubs and trees with Bt for caterpillars.

Arrowanaguy
Newly Registered

There's got to be something I can do. I read somewhere I have to start now before they take over my other shrubs :(

applestar
Mod

Have you considered what I suggested? Did you understand about Bt? It's an organic insecticide made of bacteria that targets butterfly and moth caterpillars, which is what bagworms are. When sprayed on their food plant and ingested, the caterpillars become lethargic and lose their appetite, and die.

Although harmless to any other kind of insects and organisms, you do have to be aware that it will affect ALL butterfly and moth caterpillars including ones that you may not wish to kill.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

There should be something simple to kill them. Remember when there was a article about grinding up a bug and making a water spray from the ground bugs and the spray would kill them because the disease that they have inside would infect them and kill them!

imafan26
Mod

You can hand pick the bags that you see before they hatch. The more you pick off now the fewer there will be later on. The eggs will hatch in late May or June and you will probably need to start your control measures around that time and continue until you don't see any more damage. You can use Bt, Spectracide Triazicide, bioneem or any insecticide that lists caterpillars on the label. Since you have some time while you are picking off the bagworms, look up the product labels on the internet to see what the product covers, how long it lasts, how to apply it and precautions that will be necessary to take. Always read and follow the label instructions. Bt (sold as dipel or thurgicide ) are probably the most specific for caterpillars. It is applied as a dust, but it is active against caterpillars not the eggs. So, for now the best bet is to pick off as many of the bags as you can and destroy them.

Return to “Landscaping”