varxtis
Newly Registered

Help keeping red tipped photinias

Hello. Around 3-4 years ago I planted a line of red tipped photinias, approximately 3 feet away from each-other. The goal was to have a natural hedge border out front made of red tipped photinias. After all these years they look like this. I know there are many variables that constitute a healthy plant, but all-in-all I'm told we have rich soil, but I still used top soil blend when planting them, I use all-purpose fertilizer, and I use drip lines twice a week (30mins each cylce). I'm sick a lot with migraines so sometimes the weeds get a bit out of control like in this photo, but its rare. When I prune the tops, they look like they want to kill over the next day or so. My guesses are water schedule, when I prune, and/or the stuff I'm finding on the bottoms of the leaves (the ones that look unhealthy).
Anybody got some suggestions for maintaining this struggling potential?
Attachments
The basic idea. Obviously one of them just completely died.
The basic idea. Obviously one of them just completely died.
Example of the Topside of an unhealthy Leaf
Example of the Topside of an unhealthy Leaf
Example of the Bottom side of an unhealthy Leaf
Example of the Bottom side of an unhealthy Leaf
Example of the Topside of an healthy Leaf
Example of the Topside of an healthy Leaf
Example of the Bottom side of an healthy Leaf
Example of the Bottom side of an healthy Leaf

varxtis
Newly Registered

I appreciate the feedback. Fair Oaks, CA. I feel as if the problem was in some way my neglect. There are many Red Tips in the area (City) that are lush and healthy, that kind of inspired the idea. I'm not a social person and have a hard time knocking on a not so neighbors door, approaching them for advice. But the closest we have to a Nursery around here is Lowe's and home depot. Any suggestions on salvaging these would be appreciated. They weren't cheap, so I'd feel it to be a pretty big hit.

Return to “Landscaping”