ellerayne
Newly Registered

Water Flow and Landscaping Material

First, background: My backyard was left to nature for several years. About the half the yard is very shaded. It has basket grass, air potatoes, cat's claw, and Virginia creeper problems. Different types of fungus grow across the yard. I'm proud of how many of the weeds I've eradicated so far, but one major problem is that the yard is very sloped. In addition, my landlord has left the property in poor repair, and we have no gutters. So water runs down the yard and pools in the areas with the sun I need for my vegetables. Water runs off the roof and pools all around the porch. Certain parts of the yard retain water, depending on the plant life or density of soil. I'm looking to redirect the water flow or improve drainage. I've built in raised beds with submerged edging and netting, added rock borders to the contours of the garden, and put in gravel beds in parts that tend to pool. Those methods seem to be working, but I'm also looking for the best way to redirect water flow. What are your opinions of French drains or other measures? Is sand or gravel preferable in controlling water flow? Thanks for any insights! Florida lawns are tricky...

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings ellerayne, What you've done sounds great, what you plan sounds ambitious, for a rented house, running French drains. Can you run the drains further back and off the property, to the side or are there houses all around, except for the street side.
What might work well for you is a collection sump, a submersible sump pump with a float switch with a PVC line from the pump to where ever. I plan to use this method to deliver gray water to trees and planted areas.

Good for you, sure like to see what you're doing and what you've done.

Richard

Kkneifl
Newly Registered

I implemented a French drain system at my old house complete with two connected bioswales. This system worked very well to keep the water away from my vegetables and house. It also worked well to keep my water on my site. I believe the more you can contain and infiltrate on site, the better job we are doing for the environment by keeping runoff and exceed sedemation out of our water sources. Ok....I will get off my soapbox!

With that said, I hand dug my French drains and bioswales. It was a labor of love! I would only do it if your landlord would pay you to improve the property. Otherwise, have you considered rain barrels? They are a simpler, more cost efficient solution - and you can take then with you!

However, if you are set on French drains, for the best possible outcome, once the ditch is dug and correctly sloped, you should use landscape fabric and then a rock base. And go with the heavy duty PVC piping with the double perforations.

Best of luck!

Return to “Landscaping”