verulamia
Newly Registered

Unhappy garden in Italy

Hello to everyone,

I'm a new member, I'm Chiara and I'm writing from Italy (middle Italy, not far from Rome), so please be patient with my poor English.

I need your help! how can I improve a very unhappy area of my garden?
As you can see, the first big problem is the ugly concrete wall. In order to hide it, is there any alternative to the trite Trachelospermum? I would have liked to put Wisteria, climbing roses and lonicera, but in winter it would be too empty. Same problem with the Schizophragma or the hydrangea petiolaris and probably with the clematis armandii too.
What about some espallier trees? Do you have any ideas?
The ivy is too much invasive and messy, I've already tried.

In front, I would like to make a simple shrubbery, planting viburnum, cotinus, spirae, perhaps an Osmanthus fragrens, for sure a Rose chinensis Mutabilis. Do you think it could be a good idea to replace one Oleander with a Malus huphenensis, or a cercis?

As for the stripe on the left, I don't know. Iris? lavanda? Liriope?

Yes, I'm confused and uncertain.
The clay soil doesn't help...

I will be really grateful for your help!!
Image Image Image

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Chiara benvenuto, Grazie per essere venuto, si prega di essere pazienti con il mio Italiano. I like wisteria, it would lovely on the wall and the fence behind, and for the row on the left I like Iris. I'm not fond of ivy, perche' non mi piache ragni.

Espallier fruit trees also look good across a wall or fence. I have to think more about the rest.

We have here friends who are very good at this sort of thing, I'd like to hear what they think. Io pensero' piu' troppo.

Pui' tardi

Richard

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Miniature yew would give nice texture and would not require pruning. Evergreen clematis can be a bit finicky, but looks lovely year round, is not overly aggressive, and has lovely flowers. Camellias would be a possibility. Red honeysuckle is great for spring through fall, grows only about twelve feet and doesn't spread. Wax myrtle quickly forms a screen. Star jasmine is nice but may be too aggressive for you. Just a few thoughts for your consideration. Pardon the poor English but I'm from the south where there is nothing very standard about our speech! :D

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Chiara, We've wondered what you've done in you're lovely garden. If you have time maybe you can let us know and see if you also have times for pictures. A good day to you.

Ciao Richard

Return to “Landscaping”