pinksand
Greener Thumb

Re: Update on Garden Project

Thank you all for your kind feeback and suggestions!

imafan26 - Thanks for the tips for Feng Shui. I've considered painting the door red. I'll have to readdress the idea.

I'll take some updated photos this weekend. Since the garden and path were planned out and installed before we got the dog/fence, I've made some adjustments so that the space is more functional. I built a little dry river bed to assist in directing water away from the house and widened the garden path on either side of the gate so that people have more space to step without treading in the garden. We also had the black locust removed this spring and I'm planning to plant a saucer magnolia in its place.

I have to say, I don't think I could be any happier with the decision to get rid of the yew hedge. The path to our house is so much more fun and inviting! The mountain laurels I put there are starting to bud :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for sharing the update. You have done a great job and everything is looking beautiful.

Imafan and I have had this discussion about front doors before. https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... or#p351661 The idea of the red door is to make the door/ entrance stand out to be more welcoming and inviting. But I think the tradition of making it red was developed some place where they didn't have red brick houses. With a red brick building, I don't think painting the door red makes it stand out more, I think it blends it in. I would think about a nice blue or something else contrasty....

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Very interesting RBG! The reason I've been hesitant about the red is because honestly, I'm not huge fan of the color and there is just soooo much of it like you said :( The previous owners went with red everything. It's funny you mentioned blue because my favorite pots on our patio are aqua/turquoise because I love the contrast against the brick. I've considered going with a similar color for the door but wasn't sure if it would look too random. I don't know, it's something that I'll probably think about forever and it will just stay white.

Here are some photos I took of the dry river bed Image

I'll take more photos this weekend!

Return to “Landscaping”