RobinM

Mulch and termites

Hi everyone. When I built my home about 3 years ago, I got a year of free termite and pest control service. One of the pest control guys that came out to do the quarterly service told me that I shouldn't put mulch against the house (around foundation bushes, etc.) because it attracts termites. He said I should use pine needles instead so that is what I've been doing. My question is, is that really legitimate? I like the look of mulch better and I personally have found that mulch amends the soil better here. So, does anyone know if there's any legitimate reason not to use it against the house? I do have a brick foundation. My house is kind of on a slope so it's goes from about 3' high to about 7' high.

Thanks for any advise.

Robin

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

RobinM - welcome to the forum. VERY legitimate - especially in the south! I had a landscaping business for 10 years and NEVER installed beds against a structure. I ALWAYS created a gravel barrier from the structure to 6" outside of the drip line. Termites are not something you want to play with. They can do a huge amount of damage in a very short period of time. Pine straw is better than wood mulch but not a guarantee against termites. Renew your pest control service. They will inspect and treat your home annually but you do need to inspect the perimeter of your home on a regular basis (monthly). At the first sign of termites call the exterminator.

You may have a brick foundation but the framing of the house is wood. Termite food. Our house and G;s shop are both on a concrete slab. The house is brick the shop is vinyl siding. Even with an annual termite inspection and treatment there have been a few times when we have found evidence of termites and had to call the exterminator. In G's shop because he keeps so much junk in there including wood.

Heed the exterminator's warning.

Good luck

applestar
Mod

I was curious and this topic is a good fit.

When you HAVE to have that kind of regular chemical treatments, what do you advise about planting edibles. Obviously nothing near the house, I would think. Where on the property do you locate your vegetable beds?

Is container gardening completely isolated from the ground better to avoid contamination? How do you protect your plants when they treat the house?

I hope this isn't completely OT for you RobinM.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Applestar - termites are a much greater problem in the south than in your region. I would never plant edible plants next to a structure. Termite control is a necessity and not something I want on my veggies. The vegetable garden and herb garden are away from the house and G's shop. I practice Square Foot Gardening and have wood framed boxes for the veggies. I have not had a problem with termites in my frames. The wood is not treated. The herb garden is bordered with bricks so that is not an issue. My container plants are on the patio - a concrete slab - no termites.

Shrubs and ornamentals do not need protection. The treatment process is strictly controlled - just around the perimeter of the structure. They also drill holes in the concrete surrounding the structure for treatment.

The application is controlled - not some big spray that gets all over your plants.

BTW - the exterminator uses termite sniffing dogs to inspect the property. The exterminator will conceal 3 or 4 closed jars with termites around the property as a test. The dog will "Alert" on the jars and any live termite activity on the property. Amazing!

RobinM

Thanks ElizabethB. I still have the pest control contract. They come once per quarter, in fact they just came about a week ago :) I have termite traps all around the perimeter and they check those when they come out. I guess I'll stick with pineneedles. Interesting idea of making a gravel perimeter. I may add that to the flower beds around the house, even with the pineneedles.

Applestar, no, that is not too far OT. Interesting questions/answers. Thanks.

RM

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

The traps are good. No preventive spraying for termites unless there actually is activity.

Return to “Landscaping”