maryshopper
Newly Registered

ground cover

I have 3 trees with vinca minor ground cover under them. It is almost impossible to rake under the trees and the leaves get stuck in the vinca. My husband wants to pull the vinca out and put rocks so that he can blow the leaves. Any suggestions of what we could put under the trees so the leaves can be raked or blown away?

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Please update your profile to indicate your general location and zone as that is always helpful when folks on the forum reply to messages. :)

One suggestion is to plant Hosta as they cover the area under trees well but die down in the fall for easy clean up and then re-emerge in the spring. At least that is what happens in our colder climes here in the Northeast.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Mary - Dwarf Mondo makes a very attractive ground cover. Low growing, puff balls of fine green blades. Not as invasive as regular Mondo (Monkey Grass- hate that stuff). Easy to remove leaves with a blower. Caution - Mondo does suck up a lot of nitrogen. So do your trees. You will need to add nitrogen 2 or 3 times a year. I use Ammonium Nitrate under my live oak. Because of our long growing season I apply at least 3 times each year - early spring, late spring/early summer and mid summer. I get it in 50 lb sacks from the feed and see store. Do follow the directions for application rate.

Good luck

Pictures

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/I ... warf+mondo

Return to “Landscaping”