bbike1
Newly Registered

disinfecting clippers/cut with florashield

Hey whats going on guys, this is my first post on the forums so just wanted to say I'm excited that I have stumbled apon this wealth of knowledge. My question is this: I do alot of pruning on very expensive trees, in the magnitude of $60,000.00 exotic tree species. It is common practice for me to bring a bucket of water with about 5% bleach and disinfect my clippers in between each and every cut. In reality, I feel that the bleach is damaging to the plant tissue, along with the prolonged exposure to my hand.

Being so sick of this, along with constantly avoiding spilling the bucket to prevent a large dead spot on a lawn or ground cover, I have decided to invest in the felco f19 pruners with spray technology. I was planning on using general hydroponics florashield in the reservoir for the pruners, that way it would disinfect and help the new cut heal. Could anyone see any reason of this to be a bad idea before I take a $200.00 hit on the f19? Thanks so much.

bbike1
Newly Registered

https://www.felcostore.com/item/f19?referer=pruners

https://generalhydroponics.com/site/inde ... rashield1/

here are the links to the two products. Thank you all for any help you can lend. Thanks, Spencer

applestar
Mod

I don't know anything about the flora shield product. But I use rubbing alcohol -- 70 something % concentration... I didn't think 90 something % would be necessary -- directly spot sprayed with a spray bottle on my pruning tools when I prune. I keep the larger sprayer on my tool belt or a mini sprayer in my pocket so it's ready at hand wherever I am while pruning.

I also based this choice on the fact that it doesn't hurt my skin except to dry it out a bit, and that it's antibiotic and antiseptic and antifungal. When I'm pruning a branch with suspicious growths on the bark near the cut, I spray the area first, cut with sprayed tool, then spray the cut.

To my knowledge my trees have not suffered any adverse effects. For yourself, avoid breathing the atomized mist or wear a mask if you are doing this on windy day or in large quantity. Generally speaking, wearing surgical gloves when doing fine dexterity work is a good idea, but I admit they can get pierced by the bark, etc.

bbike1
Newly Registered

hmm very interesting. My only concern is that since this would be foiler sprayed on the pruners, the leaves, and the wound, I only can wonder if the alcohol would have any adverse affects on the foliage. Other than that, the steps you follow are the same that I have been following for years. Just was curious since now its being sprayed directly on cut..

imafan26
Mod

Orchidists disinfect clippers with a torch. It is the only way to kill viruses.

Other methods are

1. use box cutters , a new blade for each plant, but only works on on small plants
2. Lysol kills viruses but needs to be rinsed off or it will kill the plant too.
3. 10% bleach or physan. Physan is a bench disinfectant but a 10% physan solution works on tools too.
Bleach can kill, bacteria but not all viruses. To be effective the tools need to be soaked in bleach and hot water (bleach does not work as well in cold water) and soaked for 30 minutes. Over time bleach will corrode the blade

Hygiene is very important. Wash hands, bag clippings, wear gloves between plants.

Since some bacteria and viruses enter through wounds some people also use a q-tip to apply pruning paint to cuts on orchids, roses, and anthuriums

Plants are watered thoroughly before being worked on and orchids are usually not watered for a week to allow the plant to heal.

Return to “Landscaping”