jgoodma3
Newly Registered

Advice on building a shed base on a gradient

Hi there!

I'm looking for some advice on building a 6x4 ft shed base using pavers.
My garden is at a bit of a gradient, sloping both downwards and to the right, you can get an idea from this photo:

(The lowest point is about 8 inches lower than the highest)

As you can see, I (probably foolishly) decided to go ahead and start digging a foundation; my plan was to follow some of the advice on a website and lay a sub base layer, and then pavers on top. This would provide me with a level surface for standing my new shed on.

My dilemma is how I deal with the slope - my original plan was to take soil away so that it would all be the same level as the lowest point, and perhaps adding a small retaining structure (maybe a sleeper) at the highest side to account for the drop off.
Do you think this is the best way to approach it? Should I instead be considering adding height to the lowest point? I'm really just trying to keep the job as simple as possible as I'm not all that experienced at DIY.

I would really appreciate your comments :-)

Thank you.

P.s some info on the garden..

It's a new garden as the house was only finished in late 2012.
The soil is compacted, and contains a bit of scattered building surplus, I.e broken brick/grit.
The climate is moderate, being situated in central UK there is a fair amount of rain, and the temperature is changeable.

imafan26
Mod

Can't you use gravel as a base to level off the blocks to start with? Build the plywood base on the 2 x 4 frame and sit the shed on top of that. The grade looks to be only a few inches off.

Are you allowed to put the shed there? Most counties are using the uniform building code now. Garden sheds usually requires a permit and even if it does not, there are still setback requirements. Usually 5 ft from other structures and the property line are minimums. You can usually look up the requirements online for your area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPri5N04nKk

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/ho ... d-11083098

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I would consider one of two approaches. Option A, would be to use cinder blocks or landscaping block to form a retaining wall on the lower side. Then fill the apace until level. Finally placing the pavers and sprinkling sand in the cracks. Option B, which would be my choice, would involve buying bagged ready mix concrete to build the retaining wall. Make a form out of the least expensive lumber you can get. Then pour the retaining wall with concrete after mixing with water in a wheel barrow. After that sets, remove the form and fill the building's footprint until it is level. Now construct a slightly larger than 4 foot by 6 foot form out of 1 x 4's or 2 x 4's. Mix concrete and fill in the form to for your pad.

Solution B will create a maintenance free pad that will last for decades, yet could be broken up and removed without too much difficulty, if that ever became an issue.

I recently constructed forms and used ready mix to pour a similar sized area. It was about a half day project. Yours would take a bit longer because of the two steps, first pouring the retaining wall, then pouring the slab. Still would likely take only about 14-16 eighty pound bags of ready mix concrete.

Be sure to give adequate slop so that water does not tend to stay on the pad. Also, build the pad about 3-4 inches higher than the surrounding soil. That way you are less likely to have problems with either water rot or termites.

Sreeni_u
Newly Registered

Hi,
I know I am posting on an old question, but since it’s the same issue for me I’m seeking advice.
I have exactly same issue in our garden, except that there is already a concrete base (quite large in fact, 14’ x 9’), and there is a gradient of 8” along the longer side. There is already a small 5x7 shed sitting on it and I’m planning to replace that with a larger 8x10. I am thinking of building a form with bricks all around, make it level and pour concrete in it. Any advise on this approach would be grately appreciated.
Thanks.

Return to “Landscaping”