nsweeney43
Newly Registered

Newbie! Question on my foundation shrubs

Hello there!

My husband and I just bought a newly built property in Massachusetts. In front of my house along my foundation there are 2 crete rhododendrons, 2 mopps goldthread cypresses, and 2 ilex crenata 'drops of gold'. The rhododendron and the cypresses look to be growing fine, but the drops of gold are dried up and look horrible. Any ideas on how to bring this back to life?? Also, heard from my neighbors that the builder didn't really know what he was doing when he was picking these plants out, do these sound like a good combination?

Another question - I would like some privacy shrubs in my back yard because we recently installed a pool and my neighbors windows are directed into my backyard. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

pinksand
Greener Thumb

There isn't anything glaringly wrong to me about that combination of shrubbery. They should be able to handle similar conditions and are pretty hardy. I have a few Japanese holly (the normal green variety) that seem to be extremely carefree. In fact, I think it's one of the number of invasive plants I've inherited in buying our house :oops:

It's hard to say what may be the problem without seeing the situation. They could be competing if they've been planted to close to one another. They also require good moisture while they're getting established so it could be that they aren't getting quite enough water. A photo might help.

Return to “Landscaping”