angiewis
Newly Registered

1st time homeowners again - additional advice on backyard

Ok, so this 3 year old house we bought didn't even have a concrete slab outside of the rear patio door. Nothing - just two builders steps leading down to the grass. Well, my husband and his dad spent the last 6 weeks or so creating a patio using 16x16 patio blocks. This included some planter areas along the sides and corners of the patio. They're all framed in with landscape timbers and filled with dirt. Now we just need some top dressing, ground cover and plants to put in them.

My problem is figuring out what plants to put there. If you didn't read my previous post about the front of the house, we live in SE Wisconsin which is hardiness zone 5. The back of the house faces due East, so it gets full sun until mid-late afternoon.

I'm definitely a novice, so I'd prefer something hardy and fairly easy to take care of. I'd like mostly perennials with a few annuals mixed in.

Any suggestions?

[url=https://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4851wjz7.jpg][img]https://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5166/img4851wjz7.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Thanks again!
Angie

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi again.

Are you after flowers at any particular time of year? Or do you want something to look at all year? Do you want any shrubs? Do you want taller plants for screening anywhere? Any colours you don't particularly like? How good are you at watering? :D

Rookie_Green_Thumb
Newly Registered

Wow!! Your hubby and FIL did a heck of a job on that patio! Very nice job!!!! :D

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Um, don't look now, but somebody left the door open! You say this gets sun for the 1st half of the day, are you interested in shading that area? Midsummer sun will bake that patio for more than half the day. I can't tell from the photo (nice job on the patio), but I'm guessing you're within earshot of the neighbours, so the screening might be important for privacy. You can go with hardscape or plants for screening and shade. Make a list of colours, and the other stuff Jess asked about. Then go through some catalogues, haunt the local nursery, have fun! You may not get much useful advice at the local box store, but the plants will be cheaper. I recommend going to a reputable nursery first, list and photo in hand, and tell them you're not a "high-maintenance" type of gardener. They should be able to give you some suggestions; and it might be a nice gesture to make one purchase there (hopefully relatively inexpensive) as a gesture of thanks. No, I don't work for a nursery, either, just courtesy. I've found it smooths things out for me. Happy hunting and...

Happy gardening!
Wing

Return to “Landscaping”