LandOfWaterfalls
Newly Registered

Virgin Soil -- garden bed under trees: Ground full of ROOTS!

Hello all! This is both my first post and my first garden! I have done some small scale container gardening (flowers, herbs, etc) in my life, and this is my first time using real, live DIRT! :D

Here's my issue, and I hope it fits in this subforum: The plot we have to use is between two rather large trees (oak I believe?), and has never been worked. I figured it would be no problem as it gets perfect sun exposure for what we want, we get plenty of rain and have great drainage!

However, the soil is absolutely riddled with roots. Tiny roots, roots that are easy enough to rip up, and a few that I have yet to be able to hack through. The soil is otherwise very nice... so are these roots a problem? If they are... what do I do? We have spinach, lettuce, and basil in starters right now that will need to be transplanted in the next 3 weeks or so... also have one potato tower started, so that is not an issue. We would like to grow peas, tomatoes, and possibly some watermelons. How should I prepare the soil for these things, given the insane amount of roots?

TL;DR: Virgin soil has oodles of little roots that I haven't been able to get rid of by hand so far. Is this a problem? If so, what do I do?

Thank you for reading this rambling post. I look forward to your replies! :)
-LoW

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It sounds like they may be tree roots, if so you may hurt the trees. it is hard for any one to tell from just a few words. Google oak trre roots and how far they go out from the tree.

applestar
Mod

I agree that you don't want to cut through all those roots. The roots will also compete with the garden for nutrients and water.

I hope hendi_alex will come along and elaborate as I believe he gardens with similar issues, but in a nutshell, he builds raised beds lined with weed barrier.

LandOfWaterfalls
Newly Registered

Eek. Hopefully I haven't already done damage to the trees. I don't think they are oaks now that I look at them (I can only really name pines, maples, and willows..) so I will try to figure out what they are.

I'm guessing a raised bed may be the best way to go as well, from your comments about the roots. These trees are definitely important trees and I wouldn't want to compromise them.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My yard is full of large oak trees. IMO, don't fight it. After fighting for decades, trying to establish a shade garden I finally gave up with in the ground gardening under those trees. I would say that it is not possible to hurt the trees by plowing the roots, but it won't help anything either. Kind of like giving them a stimulative pruning!

I love gardening under my oak trees, but limit all of that activity to raised beds and containers that are not in contact with the soil. Place a clay pots with a single hole in the bottom, and the oak roots will grow right up through the hole.

All of my bedding areas which are under oak trees are lined with two layers of plastic. First I put down sheet plastic which the roots can't penetrate. Secondly, I put down heavy duty landscape fabric, which is tougher and more durable, and is UV stabilized. Next, to give a naturalized look, we sweep a nice covering of the oak leaves over the landscape fabric. If building raised beds, as was done in two areas, those are constructed before covering the area with leaves.

Since moving to this above ground strategy, gardening under the oak trees has been very rewarding. Two vegetable and fruit areas are under the east canopy where they get morning sun until about 1 p.m. We are able to grow strawberries, blue berries, raspberries, egg plants, cucumber, green beans, and more in those areas. Anything that needs to be shaded from our brutal afternoon summer sun does very well on the east side of those trees.

In two other areas, I have large container planted shade gardens. Those plants do wonderfully as well. For the years that we tried in the ground planting, the shade perennials would do well the first year after planting, and then would get smaller each year afterward, until about the third year, everything would have to be lifted and the bed would have to be renewed. It was a lots of work that gave very little satisfaction.

Here are a few photos from 'under the oak tree' beds with the above ground strategy.

This is one of two areas that are dedicated to edible plants.

This is one of two above ground shady container flower gardens:

This is the other shady container gardening area. This one gets afternoon sun.

Return to “Landscaping”