Sutherland05
Newly Registered

Wet backyard - how to disperse water?

Hi - I'm a new homeowner dealing with what I think is a compacted-clay soil backyard that is very wet in spring and dry/cracked in summer. Weeds have overtaken most of the lawn and ivy from the gardens (running along the full length of both sides of the yard) is making its presence known through the lawn as well.
It seems like the slope of the property leads toward the house, and there isn't much room on either side of the house to divert rainwater from the backyard around the house to the road.
So I had thought about dry wells, but our water table is so high that any hole I dig would be instantly filled with water. I know this because I put in a fence and each post hole instantly filled with water... :?
Then there is the option of french drains, but without a place to direct the water...?
Will aerating the lawn assist in water dispersion? Are there any other methods?
Any help appreciated!

imafan26
Mod

When houses are built, swales are put in to channel water out of the yard. Usually the first thing the homeowner does is level the yard and put up walls around the property.

You can do some regrading. Water should flow away from the house. You can also install Portland drains to help drain the water from the yard.

As to the clay in the soil. Amending with compost over time will help with drainage and improve tilth. Make sure when you add amendments you do not alter the drainage in the yard.

https://www.co.pg.md.us/Government/Agenc ... MANUAL.pdf

Sutherland05
Newly Registered

Thanks for the link - it looks very helpful! And I'll look into your other recommendations.
Thanks!

Return to “Landscaping”