Nido
Newly Registered

Lawn Design Questions

Hi. I just joined the forum. Did the formal intro over on the Intro page. Looking for some pointers on my backyard grass plan. The backyard was in need of a complete make-over. It was a foreclosure that wasn’t maintained for years. Here in east county San Diego, that means all vegetation died. I removed all of the dead vegetation, built a retaining wall, removed 3 ficus root invading trees, and am currently installing the sprinkler system. Next step is to put in grass. After weighing the options I am leaning toward sod.

Trenching –I have seen some lawns with a small 1-2” trench at the edge of the lawn. My limited internet research is that this is for easy maintenance. I am thinking of trenching the lawn against the privacy fence and retaining wall, but not against the patio or walkway concrete. What are the thoughts about this mini trench?

Grass Height – Trying to determine at which height I want to have my lawn. I will have to do some grading and remove at least 2 inches of dirt in preparation. My question is to understand what the proper design height should be in relation to the patio concrete? Do I want the top of the blades to be even or ½” over the concrete height when cut? I have seen some neighbors that have their front lawn much higher than the concrete and I don't think it looks correct. What is the proper height?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Mark497
Newly Registered

Well, about the grass. Just like the other answerer, the height of the grass depends on the type of grass.

Return to “Landscaping”