CatNippy81

thuja emerald green arborvitae

Our property butts up against the school bus barn. I do not mind the place and they never make noise, but the bus barn is unsightly. I was thinking of doing a living fence and wanted to know how much attention the green arborvitae requires. They would be a ways back from the house and my water hose. Does putting in a living privacy fence improve property value?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Once established, I don't think that green arborvitae require much attention. However, when the trees are younger they will require some good watering. I don't believe they need to be pruned to keep their vertical shape but will need some attention in removing any dead branches and maybe some topping off. A friend of mine planted them to mask the hideous foreclosed house next door and it definitely makes a difference. The only thing is that they are taking their time filling in.

As far as your property value goes, I don't think it would be drastic but I'm sure that hiding an eye sore and creating some privacy would add some appeal for potential buyers. It certainly wouldn't hurt!

Return to “Landscaping”