pengh

Removing large trunk/stump (help/question)

I took out a large bush with a small chainsaw. All that is left is a large stump. what is the best way to get it out? I plan on building a wall where the bush once was so I need to get a couple feet in the ground.

thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I had a large tree that died in my front yard. After I cut it down and just had a stump about a foot high, I piled a couple bags of charcoal briquettes all around and over the stump and burned them. Worked like a charm. The stump smouldered for a couple days after the charcoal was gone and it burned all the way down in the roots. I was left with nothing but a hole in the ground.

Gkwilsongardens

There's a fine line between having to hire a company with stump grinder and doing it by hand. As a landscape gardener I've dug out a lot of stumps and you will need a grafter, wrecking bar, very sharp long handled axe and shovel you will have a good work out. 250 mm diameter is about the max by hand !!!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I know a number of people that did the fire method with success.
As it is just a bush digging it out may not be so bad, as for a pry bar I would use a digging bar as it is about 5' long.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

May not be worth it, if you just have the one. For those of us who are trying to clear land of Japanese honeysuckle shrubs, there is the honeysuckle popper:

www.misterhoneysuckle.com

Moisten the soil to loosen things up or wait until after a rain, put the hook under the crown of the shrub, and pop it out.

SterlingLawns
Newly Registered

I'm a little late on the reply but I find that when doing it by hand it helps not to cut it down as far as you can, actually try to leave a few feet of the stalk connected to the truck so you have something to hold on to, bend, and pry when trying to pull the entire bush out.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Things that may not work for a lot of people.
#1, Take a long chain and hook it to your bumper, leave some slack in the chain. Stomp on the gas and yank it out. Go to car repair shop to have a new bumper put on.
#2, Blast it out, replace windows.
#3, Bring in a contractor with a backhoe, replace bank account.
#4, This one may work, hire a local kid, if you can get them away from their video games.
#5, Pour gas and oil over it and burn it out, call fire department to put house out. Call the above contractor to come and dig up, and haul away your contaminated soil.
#6, With smaller trees, one foot or so thick, I some times cut them high and push them over with the tractor. Some times I just push them over. I then use the bucket to dig or push the root ball out. With bigger stumps I use my new digging tool on my tractor. I also have a neighbor with a bulldozer he uses on his property, he has done some work for me. Tractors are the best yard work tool I have, love doing yard work with a joystick. Now if you lived down the street I may just come and do that for you. :wink:

Return to “Landscaping”