dhweb
Newly Registered

Drainage for gravel path

I'm most of the way through putting in a gravel path in my back yard (first time trying something like this). The yard is sloped, has a clay base, and little top soil or vegetation other than large trees, so runoff and erosion is a problem. The path curves around from one side of the house across the yard to the other side of the house (~120 feet). Because of the terrain the path is sloped to one degree or another for most of its length. I have edged the path with landscape timbers and put in three French Drains at key points along the path. I am planning to fill the path will gravel, river pebbles or wood chips

My concern is that erosion of the clay base caused by runoff under the gravel material will clog the drains and flood the path. I live in Virgina and we often get torrential downpours on summer afternoons. When those happen, because of the lack of soil and clay base, most of the water runs off in sheets, and since I've put the edged path in it uses the path like it was a river bed. The French drains handle the run-off with a normal rain, but when we the downpours the runoff erodes the clay, clogs up the French drains and overflows the path edging (remember, no material in the path yet).

My worry is that even with gravel, pebbles or wood chips down that the water with flow mostly through/under that material and cause the same problem. If my suspicions are right, how do I prevent this problem? I've thought of two possibilities: 1) put down a layer of crushed rock or rock dust (the kind of material that is used as a base for pavers) or fine gravel, or 2) cover the clay with landscaping cloth.

Any advice would be most appreciated. I'm worried that if I make the wrong choice that I'll have to take all the material out and start over.

Thanks,
Dennis

tomf
Super Green Thumb

A French drain should have gravel around it to start with; it helps it to collect water. Did you use the cover material on the pipe, if so no problem? As for erosion it is hard to say from here, photos?

Return to “Landscaping”